Not running well when started

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

the bear1986

Not running well when started

Post by the bear1986 »

Hi guys I've bought myself a rev2 turbo in white in January and I've just been bring it up to stratch eg with body work and engine. My big proplem at the moment is as soon as I start the car the revs are above 1rpm then the drop and and hang around 500-800rpm but the engine sounds like its struggling to kep ticking over then it stalls. But if I press throttle a little and get the revs moving its fine but if I let go it stalls again but its fine if I drive it for a few mins then it idles fine. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
daz364

Re: Not running well when started

Post by daz364 »

Was it running ok when you put it away ?
Have you put some fresh petrol in?
What have you done enginewise?
It might take abit of clearing out when on the road mines always like that I use it and take it for a good run and it clears its self out

hope this helps
Daz
Matt

Post by Matt »

Had the same thing when I got my rev2. Changed the spark plugs, that worked for me.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

the bear1986 wrote:Hi guys I've bought myself a rev2 turbo in white in January and I've just been bring it up to stratch eg with body work and engine. My big proplem at the moment is as soon as I start the car the revs are above 1rpm then the drop and and hang around 500-800rpm but the engine sounds like its struggling to kep ticking over then it stalls. But if I press throttle a little and get the revs moving its fine but if I let go it stalls again but its fine if I drive it for a few mins then it idles fine. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

1) Check for error codes.
2) Ensure all service components (plugs, cap, arm etc) are in good working order.
3) Check ignition timing.
4) Check water hoses to ISC are present (i've seen them removed for some odd reason on several cars).

Once you know the car is in a well-maintained state, i'd be checking out the water temp. sensor.
the bear1986

Post by the bear1986 »

Hi pets how would I be able to do these basic checks then? Like the cap and arm? Also what hoses would I be looking at? I guess timing would have to be done at a garage? The can belt has been replaced or that's what I've been told. Sorry for the questions but I've come from Subaru owner ship for the last 4 years and vags before that.

Regards Luke
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

the bear1986 wrote:Hi pets how would I be able to do these basic checks then?

1) Check for error codes.
Bridge TE1 and E1 in diagnostic port in engine bay. Switch on ignition. ECU light will flash. If flashes twice per second, no errors. If once per second, count flashes. You'll get a two digit number. Report back abd we will identify.

2) Ensure all service components (plugs, cap, arm etc) are in good working order.
If you were in my workshop, i'd use a 'scope. But you can certainly take cap off and look for erosion/corrosion on contacts in cap. If in any doubt replace - they are service components after all.

3) Check ignition timing.
Timing light on crank pulley at idle. 10 degress BTDC.

4) Check water hoses to ISC are present (i've seen them removed for some odd reason on several cars).
Look for two 8mm bore hoses from ISC under TB going towards N/S of car. They connect to couple of steel pipes, which in turn join to two more rubber hoses.

Anywhere near Barnsley? If so call in - i'll have all the checks done in 20 mins.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

daz364 wrote:It might take abit of clearing out when on the road mines always like that I use it and take it for a good run and it clears its self out

You have a problem. Needing to "clear out" an engine to make it run well is not an inbuilt design feature by the manufacturer.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
daz364 wrote:It might take abit of clearing out when on the road mines always like that I use it and take it for a good run and it clears its self out

You have a problem. Needing to "clear out" an engine to make it run well is not an inbuilt design feature by the manufacturer.

:thumleft:
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
glen n

Post by glen n »

I have a very similar issue,when cold the car will idle at quite low revs and cut out,once it starts to warm it runs ok. I'm sure I solved the same issue on my rev1 by changing the ecu temp sensor at the water tree. For all they cost its worth doing to rule that out I'd say.
the bear1986

Post by the bear1986 »

Hi Pete thanks for the advice what is a cap? As never here that before or maybe I have buys its called something else. I live in Norwich so quite a long drive just incase the car goes pop on the way up to you.
the bear1986

Post by the bear1986 »

Glen what is the exact name of the temp sensor and where does it go when fitted as there's so many sensors on the mr2 its crazy lol
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

the bear1986 wrote:Hi Pete thanks for the advice what is a cap?

Distributor cap.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

the bear1986 wrote:Glen what is the exact name of the temp sensor and where does it go when fitted as there's so many sensors on the mr2 its crazy lol

ECU water temp sensor. Fits to front side of coolant distribution block.
glen n

Post by glen n »

Just what Peter said above,its easy enough to replace and a cheap part so worth ruling it out at least. You will loose some coolant changing it so best to have some to top up a little when done. In saying that if your quick you will get your finger over the hole before it pours out,I wasn't!
the bear1986

Post by the bear1986 »

Ok cool I will try that then does anyone know the code for it so I can order it or do u stock them Pete if so how much would it be posted. Also is there any photos abou showing where this does go? Again thanks for the help your all giving me
the bear1986

Post by the bear1986 »

Does anyone know of the best place to buy a dizzy cap and rotor arm plus a rocker cover gasket as not sure where to buy as I have a turbo and not clued up if the NA parts will fit
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

I'm sure Peter can supply those bits
or Camskill
or give trvor a ring at TCB performance parts
or mr2ben
or gtschris

For the rocker gasket use OEM toyota as less likely to leak
b4nk51e

Post by b4nk51e »

My rev 2 turbo was doing this until yesterday, I changed the ecu temp sensor runs sweet as a nut again £12 from local motor factors 5 mins to change it :thumleft:
the bear1986

Post by the bear1986 »

Ok thanks I will order that from mr t do u know the code or will they know that. Also Pete are you able to get hold of the rocker cover gasket dizzy cap rotor arm oil filter and oil and how much would that cost please.
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

My Rev4 Turbo is running rough for the first minute upon startup, struggling to tick over.

The plugs, cap, arm /HT leads are all about 2 years old.

Done about 5000 miles since they were replaced.

Could dirty plugs cause this?

It runs fine once up too temp.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”