Aero or normal wiper blades?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KarlBristol

Aero or normal wiper blades?

Post by KarlBristol »

I've had lots of both types over the years on various car, and currently have aeros fitted my mr2.

The aeros I've got fitted I find a bit useless to be honest - leave streaks and don't seem to clean the screen properly. They are relatively new and are Bosch so they're a decent make. It's weird because I've got Bosch aeros fitted to my new car as standard and they work amazingly. I'm unsure if I should replace them with the same and mark it down to a bad batch or if I should get something new...

I'm half tempted to take the aero blades off of the 2 and buy these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Front-W ... 5d3123cfc8

What are your experience with wipers on the 2?
Any you would recommend or stay away from?
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
b4nk51e

Re: Aero or normal wiper blades?

Post by b4nk51e »

I have just put the set in your link on my mr2 & they work superb no squeeking, juddering or streaks I also had an areo set on before that which would not clear the screen properly kept leaving 2 random streaks along the windscreen. Can't remember the make of them tho.
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

I put Bosch aero wipers on mine and have found them to be pretty good, apart the usual missed patches at speed which all the blades do, I was getting a patch of the window missed when using the washers but now I've changed my jets the whole windscreen gets cleaned streak free
Harold

Post by Harold »

I wish there was a fix so that the wipers actually worked over 80mph.
Torero

Post by Torero »

I changed back to standard wipers after using the Bosch Aeros for 3 years. I found that when they start to deteriorate they are far worse than the standard and the deterioration starts sooner.

I think they are a good solution but when they are bespoke, as an afternarket solution they don't hit the mark.

I know you've had a new washers and windscreen fitted as well, Karl so you should be seeing optimal performance on both of the wiper types so you may not see a difference for some time yet.

John.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Harold wrote:I wish there was a fix so that the wipers actually worked over 80mph.

New wiper arms certainly help (the springs go weak with age), but TBH i very rarely drive over 80mph anyway.
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

A clean windscreen and a good (and regular) application of something like Rain-X means that you sometimes don't even need to use the wipers at +60mph...
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Hm I'm rarely doing over 80 in wet enough conditions to require that but then you can get spray from cars and lorries in front.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:New wiper arms certainly help (the springs go weak with age), but TBH i very rarely drive over 80mph anyway.

Any idea of the price for new arms Peter?
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Brand new arms are £50 from Toyota or thereabouts :thumleft:

Hence why I bought second hand ... Mine rarely comes out in rain so I couldn't justify the price...

sidewaysmk2tubby

Post by sidewaysmk2tubby »

Haha mine always lifted at 65mph so when on a motorway in the rain id be sat in the slow lane at 55-60, this did not amuse me much.

I got some of those aeros fitted and problem solved! Only get lift around 150 now lol.
I think new springs would be a good idea aswell just never got around to finding some.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Well I've ordered a set of new Bosh super plus wipers from the link above and will ditch my aeros when I get the car back..

I'm hoping that having a new windscreen, new washer jets, rev3+ hook arms combined with brand new heavier wipers with integrated spoilers should solve any issues I had with my screen... Here's to hoping! Lol.

It's all going in a box ready to fit to the car when I get it back \:D/

I'm going to have to see if I can get hold of just a set of brand new wiper arm springs :-k that would complete the windscreen cleaning overhaul perfectly...

In fact does anyone know if Toyota sell those springs separately from the arms and how easy they are to replace?

KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Just spoke to Peter ... Springs aren't sold separately

At least it gives me something else to buy for EOR in 5 or 6 years when everything else is done :lol:

mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

It baffles me that no one has found a way to replace the springs with an alternative.

On mylast mr2 iI found a site in Canada, they sold springs that clip onto the arm and the bolt area of the arm and added extra down force Worked well, they were about £10.
Looked a bit silly though.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”