[Mk2] [Turbo] Suspension Swap

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

blogsy

[Mk2] [Turbo] Suspension Swap

Post by blogsy »

I am trying to put rev3 suspension on to a rev 1, but before i have even started i have a found a possible problem. I am not sure whether to call it the front tension rod or the front tie bar, but on the rev1 it is a threaded bar and on the rev3 it is metalastic bush, both are enclosed in a cage that is then bolted to the chassis rail. Does any one know if this stuff is interchangeable. Or would i be best to keep the rev1 tension rod as it can be adjusted. has anyone got any tip on this swap. i am doing this as the rev1 is in really good nick and lighter than the rev 3. The rev 3 is i turbo in case that makes a difference. Appreciate any help.
nickg07

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Suspension Swap

Post by nickg07 »

As far as I know you can put the rev )3 brackets onto the Rev 1 but how hard it will be yo unbolt oil don't know.

Having adjustable caster is nice but how much you'd adjust it for the road I don't know.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

So what parts are you going to change over?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Ah just the man! Well I've got the rev1 and the rev3 so I'm able to swap parts around between the two. Obviously I would like to take over the rev3 brakes, anti roll bars and suspension struts. I read one of your posts once where you mentioned the rev1 rear sub frame being quite good for track use, but when you lose it it happens quite fast. I don't want an out and out track car so basically you tell me what you think I should use off the rev3, for example do i take the rev3 front tie bars over to the rev1 or keep the existing adjustable ones off the rev1? I know you and your boy know your stuff when it comes to suspension so I appreciate any of your suggestions.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Personally I'd not swap anything over unless the rev 1 item is damaged or worn out other than the brakes and ARBs (they're a little bigger in both instances. Also if you swap the brakes you'll need the later 15" wheels).

R
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

HighwayStar wrote:Personally I'd not swap anything over unless the rev 1 item is damaged or worn out other than the brakes and ARBs (they're a little bigger in both instances. Also if you swap the brakes you'll need the later 15" wheels).

R

Yes I would go with that, the Rev 1 handles better than the later ones
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Should i use the rev3 turbo Suspension Strut Dampers along with the brakes and arb's. I will also be using the engine from the turbo and all that that will involve in the rev1 n/a.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Depends what's on there and what nick it's in. The rev3 tubby probably has (should have) black bilsteins on which offer firmer damping than the rev1 struts (about 20% greater as I understand it) but then if original the rev1 struts should be the rebuidable type so you can just buy inserts for them (look at Fensports website... possibly Rogue motorsport as well) and choose your own damping rates, to a degree at least.

R.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Thanks mate, Just one last thing i had a bit of a look on the search facility. And people talk about the rev1 rear subframe being changed by toyota because it would snap into over steer and catch people unawares, So we ended up with the rev2 + rear subframe with the longer tie rods. I read someone say he changed from rev 1 to the rev 2 subframe and the car felt better and more stable on fast bends. but then we get other people say thats because some people don't know how to drive and the rev one is the best one. i would like to fit the one that people generally agree to be the best. i think i no bob's thoughts on this :wink:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Not really sure what you're asking here. Are you saying you're going to fit the later subframe etc anyway? The easiest solution is to not let it catch you unawares...
Jayridium

Post by Jayridium »

I'm really surprised that the rev -13 hybrid solution hasnt came up yet. IMHO the rev1 is racier primarily because of its sharper turn in due to the front geometry. However Rev1's got a largely unfounded bad write up for "snap oversteer" see Mr. Bezo's article on this phenomenon at http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/snapoversteer.htm

To combat that the AFIK rev2+ had different rear suspension geometry, and rev3+ had different front suspension geometry. The effects of the changes from rev 1 geometry was to make the car more progressive as it approached the limits of grip, at the expense of dulling the agility. To get the best of both worlds I thought alot of people were running what I call the rev 13 hybrid, ie a rev 1 front end and a rev 3 rear subframe. That combination keeps the darty gokart like turn in while giving you a more progressive and much easier to catch rear end.

My own personal setup, inspired and influenced by a few of the legendary posters on here, is rev 1 front, rev 3 rear, rev 3 19mm front anti roll bar, TRD 22mm rear anti roll bar, Koni shocks and springs front and rear, camber pins through out, and a good alignment.

I'm not going to share my alignment settings not because I regard them as a trade secret or anything just that everyones taste is different, so dialing the car in to your taste is best done through alignment / damper tuning. You can look at this table however:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile ... djustments
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Jay,

Might be interested in speaking to you about getting a suspension set-up. I have the following to install on my Rev 4 in the near future, and looks like a similar set-up to you:

Koni Dampers
Eibach Springs
Whiteline 21mm ARB's or 24mm ARB's
Cusco front adjustable tension rods

Also have a quick ratio steering pinion, which I think would go well with a Rev 1 spec front alignment. Thoughts?

Ross

Return to “Modifications”