Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sketchmyster

Post by sketchmyster »

hi im a bit of a noob with mr2s pick up my mk2 rev2 on tue/wed its slightly moddified
heres the spec

Mk2 rev2 Toyota mr2 turbo import

It has a Yamaha 3sgte engine

Ct20b twin entry turbo

Act clutch upto aprox 380lbf,

3-2"straight through twin exhaust

1.8mm cometic headgasket

Magnacore ht leads

Coldergrade sparkplugs

Manual boost controller

Anologue boost gauge

Hks blow off valve

Hks turbo-timer

Hks air filter

Tein coilovers on rear Standard suspension front

Kenwood double din cd/tape player

17" Wolf race alloy wheels Bf Goodrich 215/40/17 front Bf Goodrich 235/45/17 rear

Running 1.2 bar boost pressure producing approximately 300bhp and 300lbf torque
Last edited by sketchmyster on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4ndee

Re: newbie

Post by 4ndee »

hmmmm i wouidnt rave about it being registered as an n/a. its pretty stupid if you have an accident they will void your insurance
stace110

Post by stace110 »

4ndee wrote:hmmmm i wouidnt rave about it being registered as an n/a. its pretty stupid if you have an accident they will void your insurance

+1 :thumleft:
sketchmyster

Post by sketchmyster »

good point just copyed the spec off the page should of read it first thanks for ponting it out
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

sorry lots of people do it and its not a good idea, welcome to the club. sounds like a good car, any pics?
sketchmyster

Post by sketchmyster »

will be putting pics up once i recive it and can get some good ones
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

stop speaking $hite imocers.

As long as you declare the mods you have nothing to worry about regarding insurance! Check out the affiliates on IMOC as a good starting point.

While you are on, gets some pics up of your beast please.

Funny how original posts change before your response is put up there. LOL
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

4ndee wrote:hmmmm i wouidnt rave about it being registered as an n/a. its pretty stupid if you have an accident they will void your insurance

No they won't. An insurance company can't "void" a policy. They are under obligation to settle 3rd party claims. But they may choose to recover the value of those claims from the policy holder.

As for the V5 - it isn't important what's on the V5. There are hundreds if not thousands of turbos and n/as around with incorrect model description.

What is important, is what it is insured as.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

stop speaking $hite imocers.

As long as you declare the mods you have nothing to worry about regarding insurance! Check out the affiliates on IMOC as a good starting point.

??

I thought they were making the point that you should declare a turbo as a turbo, not still insure it as an N/A? Didnt notice anyone talking sh1te.

Surely if you crashed a Turbo that was down on paper as a N/A, there would be a chance the insurance might not pay out?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

D4N_V_U wrote:Surely if you crashed a Turbo that was down on paper as a N/A, there would be a chance the insurance might not pay out?

On which paper?

V5 is not important. Certificate of insurance is what matters.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

lol, this thread confused me! Just read what everyone has said on it again... Yes, if we own a Turbo, just declare it to the insurer that it`s a Turbo and all is good! I was just making the point that if it was previously a naturally aspirated you shouldnt be tempted to `forget` to tell your insurer that it has had a conversion/is now more powerful. edit >> car in question hasnt even had an engine swap has it?lmao... OK I get this thread now so he was saying the V5 was coupe or something.. :clap: Which doesnt matter so long as he has declared what it is to the insurer... Wooo my brain hurts.. :lol: Get there in the end!
Last edited by DAN_REV1_TURBO on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

D4N_V_U wrote:I was just making the point that if it was previously a naturally aspirated you shouldnt be tempted to `forget` to tell your insurer that it has had a conversion/is now more powerful.

Excellent advice! :thumleft:
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

agreed v5 is not SO important, but if its registered as an n.a the chances of it being insured as one are pretty high thats why people do it, and thats were the problems come in as its fraud.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

As stated above if your vehicle is insured correctly you won't have any issues with insurance if you crash

However if its not registered correctly on your V5 the DVLA can penalise you, fine you etc... There is actually a given offence for having incorrect vehicle, registered keeper or address details on your V5. You could therefore be reported to court if your aware the details are incorrect. I'm not going to dig out my ticket book to find the exact wording of the offence - just take my word for it :lol:

I don't think anyone is talking rubbish - just advising people to be wary about they post up on an open forum. Surely it's better to be safer than sorry :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

yes correct its a £1000 fine from the dvla if i recall for incorrect details or not updating address etc

ANYWAY the thread is spammed now lol poor guy just wanted to show his new car off
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

4ndee wrote:agreed v5 is not SO important, but if its registered as an n.a the chances of it being insured as one are pretty high thats why people do it, and thats were the problems come in as its fraud.

My N/A was registered by DVLA on import as a GT. But it was insured by me as an N/A. Does that mean i comitted anti-fraud?
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Well it`s the DVLA who have cocked up how can anyone be held responsible for that? If you had no experience of MR2`s you would have no clue what model was meant to be printed on the V5.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

D4N_V_U wrote:Well it`s the DVLA who have cocked up how can anyone be held responsible for that? If you had no experience of MR2`s you would have no clue what model was meant to be printed on the V5.

The legislation is aimed mainly at those who don't update names/addresses

However once you become aware that the details held are wrong or if based on a balance of probability a court ascertains that you knew/should have know then you are liable and may be subject to fines, court appearances etc...

The chance of the DVLA randomly picking up on miinor model without any police intervention, accidents with insurance intervention etc... is so small it's negligible.

KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Anyway - specs sounds good
I look forward to the pics :thumleft:

Maybe stick up a post on the members profile thread if you intend to do some work to it...

sketchmyster

Post by sketchmyster »

glad people have put advice up it will be insured as a turbo had a celica gt4 import before this and it was the same just said it was a gt4 to the insurance they lifted the price up all was fine not sure if im going to do more ( friend of mine builds engines for the mr2/gt4 so might push for a bit more bhp lol) but going to get used to the car first

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”