RedMoon Racing [MSV Team/Trackday Trophy]

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ChalkOutline

RedMoon Racing [MSV Team/Trackday Trophy]

Post by ChalkOutline »

Just posted some pictures on Pistonheads and thought they might be worth cross posting here - a little history of RedMoon Racing's MR2 entries into the MSV Trackday and Team Trophies since 2010, and the car we have ready for 2013.

I used to daily drive this, but sold it to a friend:

Bought it back after a year and turned it into this:

Which I eventually modified like this [Cadwell Park]:

So we bought this:

Which now looks like this:

Haven't track tested with all the front end mods yet. Will be doing on Sunday though...

Would anyone be interested in reading anything more about the car? I'll get my teammate to do a bit of a writeup if so (delegation)! But briefly:

Rev3 import tintop with rev2 turbo engine (Megasquirt ECU)
Weight 1215Kg with a splash of fuel in
Power 224bhp at the wheels
Intercooled & Chargecooled
front brake cooling ducts and vented bonnet/wings
Races are 1 hour long so keeping the engine and intake cool have been the biggest challenges!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: RedMoon Racing [MSV Team/Trackday Trophy]

Post by Peter Gidden »

I presume if you're looking at getting good airflow through the engine bay, the roof scoop is part of a sealed engine induction system same way as TOM'S designed it to work?
ChalkOutline

Post by ChalkOutline »

I'd like to say the roof scoop works that way, but I'd be lying! It's kind of there because it was there when we got the donor car. I get how it should work, maybe we can get our Viper intake routed that way in future.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Looks good - nice to see another MR2 being raced! Have you given any thought to the 750MC's new Roadsports series? It's a similar format to team trophy and there's a very strong MR2 contingent in it.

:thumleft:
ChalkOutline

Post by ChalkOutline »

Rogue wrote:Looks good - nice to see another MR2 being raced! Have you given any thought to the 750MC's new Roadsports series? It's a similar format to team trophy and there's a very strong MR2 contingent in it.

:thumleft:

Looks very interesting, especially the "Elite" class. :-k

Questions (which are probably answered on the 750mc site, but hey):

Power to weight:
How/where is power measured - Official dyno, honors system, wheel power, flywheel power... ?
Same with weight - Fuel load, driver included?

Also, you supplied several of our parts, including the roll cage, a gearbox and countess sets of side pods. Cheers!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

- I'm pretty sure power is measured at the wheels - all flywheel figures are calculated and therefore open to manipulation.

- Initially - and to make it easier to enter - we'll rely on people supplying their own figures. If some seems to be obviously quicker than they should be then we'll fit a datalogger to measure their power on the day or require them to visit a nominated dyno before racing again.

- Weight figure is the car at the end of the race minus driver. Because you can have more than one driver and they could be different weights we decided to remove that component from the equation.

Best regards,

Patrick Mortell
Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01926 810104
HurleyRacing

Post by HurleyRacing »

Gonna be loads of Mr2s in Roadsports i would imagine!! :)
-Race Car Preperation -Engine Rebuilds
www.hurleyraceengineering.co.uk
[email protected]
ashley

Post by ashley »

ChalkOutline wrote:

Interested to know why you've done both?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

HurleyRacing wrote:Gonna be loads of Mr2s in Roadsports i would imagine!! :)

Well it's essentially MR2 Super GT & friends. Should be good!
ChalkOutline

Post by ChalkOutline »

ashman wrote:
ChalkOutline wrote:

Interested to know why you've done both?

Well, 1st we changed the stock SMIC to a cheap-ish eBay upgrade - and even at very low boost levels we were getting terrible heatsoak and detonation (our races are 1 hour long).

So we got a beaten up 2nd hand ST185 chargecooler and ADDED it after the IC as a test and it improved things no end - leading to us forking out for a PWR barrel chargecooler which at our current power level (210ish at the wheels) keeps intake temps around 15 degrees above ambient.

If we had more time, we would do back to back testing to see if eliminating the IC had any effect, but we'd need to fab more custom pipe 1st.

I think the only downside to having both CC and IC is more lag, but since we are "never" off boost in a race (in theory) that's not a problem - whereas in a road car it might be.

Thoughts?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

My turbo mk2 race car runs ~293bhp at the hubs and has an ST205 chargecooler. No issues with heat soak regardless of duration (our races are normally 15 minutes but we've run for at least 45 minutes at a time in the Birkett relay race) but we've had to be very careful with chargecooler pre-rad choice and location. This is more to ensure airflow to the coolant radiator and stop the car overheating.
ChalkOutline

Post by ChalkOutline »

Rogue wrote:we've had to be very careful with chargecooler pre-rad choice and location. This is more to ensure airflow to the coolant radiator and stop the car overheating.

We're still using the ST185 CC pre-rad, mounted in front of our PWR uprated coolant rad. You can see from the pics what we have done to maximise airflow across the pair of them (seems to work very well indeed). Any suggestions on CC pre-rad choice? Be ideal if it had the same mountings as ST185 rad as that's what we've had fabbed for the car...

I think you spoke to our mechanic this morning about gearbox selector forks/fingers!
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Would this be the red MR2 I saw at Anglesey last year popping flames like a mofo? :D

That series looked like great fun if it was you!

How did you find your old T-bar on track by the way? I have a heavily modified Elise I use on track but considering converting my daily T-bar N/A into a cheap back-up car when I've had enough of it, just wondering if its worth it as chassis flex doesn't seem too bad on the road IMO.

Alex
ChalkOutline

Post by ChalkOutline »

HughesR1 wrote:Would this be the red MR2 I saw at Anglesey last year popping flames like a mofo? :D

Yes, yes it would! And winning its class in both races too :clap:

HughesR1 wrote:How did you find your old T-bar on track by the way? [...] just wondering if its worth it as chassis flex doesn't seem too bad on the road IMO.

The old T-bar was fine, chassis flex wise. The only real difference is the weight penalty of having all the extra ironwork at the top. If you're planning to do the Mad Max style rivet hardtop you need to keep the T-bar latches (after smashing the glass off) as they form the window seal etc. That said, the red car "just feels better" than the black one, which may be down to the chassis as all the same running gear has been swapped across...
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Yes those were very entertaining to watch! Good mix of cars too, would love to enter the Elise into it!

Interesting, the red car probably is down to it being a coupe I guess. All your inputs are directed to the road rather than flexing through the chassis first probably.

Nice driving btw!
1998 MR2 Rev5 NA (Road & Track)
1998 Porsche Boxster 986 (Weekend)
2007 Ford S-Max Titanium (Family Hack!)

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”