Not selecting 5th gear???

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Road_Rebel

Not selecting 5th gear???

Post by Road_Rebel »

Hello everyone,

My poor MR2 has had a tough winter and needs lots of work doing to it!

Quite a while a go I was driving back from work and whilst driving up a slip road to join the motorway, I put it into 5th, put my foot down and it popped straight out. It would stay in 5th if i pushed hard and held pressure on the gear stick.

I was told that it would be the oil level dropping and 5th gear would be wearing away but yesterday when I finally started work on my V6 conversion I saw this....

Do you think this will be the reason that i was having to hold it to keep it in 5th?

Or will be the 5th gear is wearing away.

Thanks for reading,
Daniel
bobhatton

Re: Not selecting 5th gear???

Post by bobhatton »

Road_Rebel wrote:Hello everyone,

My poor MR2 has had a tough winter and needs lots of work doing to it!

Quite a while a go I was driving back from work and whilst driving up a slip road to join the motorway, I put it into 5th, put my foot down and it popped straight out. It would stay in 5th if i pushed hard and held pressure on the gear stick.

I was told that it would be the oil level dropping and 5th gear would be wearing away but yesterday when I finally started work on my V6 conversion I saw this....

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/ ... 67fe81.jpg

Do you think this will be the reason that i was having to hold it to keep it in 5th?

Or will be the 5th gear is wearing away.

Thanks for reading,
Daniel

Yes, that is your problem, nothing to do with oil and there is no way you can wear away any gear
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
abovetherim

Re: Not selecting 5th gear???

Post by abovetherim »

Looks like you have polybush replacement for the gear link cables to replace the stock rubber ones. They just slip over a shaft with a washer on top and held on with a split pin thro a hole in the shaft. You will prob find the pin missing.
Simple fix

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”