Janspeed S1?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

munter

Janspeed S1?

Post by munter »

Just noticed a Janspeed S1 on eBay. Looks in good condition and I quite fancy it as my current exhaust is a bit OTT for my taste. I also like the twin pipe look on the Mk1.

Anyone running this exhaust? What's it like? I'm especially interested to hear what it's like on a SC.

Cheers
un1eash

Re: Janspeed S1?

Post by un1eash »

Very loud, had mine for 7 years or so and looking to change to be honest as its too loud even at low revs. It's just noise now instead of a nice sound. If it weren't for having another car i would of swapped it by now for a mongoose or magnex.
munter

Post by munter »

Hmmm... may not be the exhaust for me then after all. The current custom pipe on my car is huge. The neighbours haven't said anything but it must annoy them. It also deafening at motorway speeds! Really I want something quieter - not as loud.

Will keep an eye out for the Magnex/Mongoose instead then.

cheers
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Avoid the Janspeed if you want something quiet!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yep, Magnex is a good sound on an SC. You could also look at modifying an Elise exhaust to fit :)
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Is the stainless steel exaust from Fox known in UK ? I have one on my MR2 and on my daylie driven Corolla. Nice sound, not noisy, good quality. They made all the aftermarkets for TTE in the early 90th.

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Too loud Paul, Mongoose sounds by far the best on a Mk1 in my opinion.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I have one

Very loud but I don't mind this, not as loud as my powerflow though.

No flexi which puts stress on pipework and eventually causes hairline cracks. Support brackets have poor quality welds which eventually rip off pipework and cause cracks.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

benedwards64 wrote:Yep, Magnex is a good sound on an SC. You could also look at modifying an Elise exhaust to fit :)

Magnex is no longer a separate company

They went into administration & Mongoose bought the trade name

Mongoose currently sell exhausts for the MR2 under the Magnex name as well as under the Mongoose name

Not sure if there is any actual difference, or just badge engineering
Last edited by elbon50 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stenky

Post by stenky »

XLarge wrote:Is the stainless steel exaust from Fox known in UK ? I have one on my MR2 and on my daylie driven Corolla. Nice sound, not noisy, good quality. They made all the aftermarkets for TTE in the early 90th.

I had exactly the same TTE exhaust on my first two. It was however rustier and used to fall of occasionally :D I dragged it once on a motorway until I found a suitable place to stop and put it back. Geez this box taught me patience and brings back memories :D
munter

Post by munter »

Thanks for the replies folks. Given I have the mother of all exhausts on the car at the moment I think I'll wait a while and see if I can pick up a magnex/mongoose.

Swapping one crazy loud exhaust for another isn't the intention here!

I'm also seeing first signs of rust on the arches. Is it worth just going straight to replacing them with new steel or worth a few patches first? I think if I go ahead and spend for a respray the replacement approach is the way to go but if not I'm wondering how long I'll get out of patching? The quick attempt to remove the worst spot before winter failed spectacularly and the rust is back just as bad as before!!!

P
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I'd give it two weeks before it bubbles again.
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

I have a janspeed on, and i love it. I solved the problems with the nuts slackening off with loads of crush washers, but mine has had the janspeed flange where it meets the manifold cut off and replaced with a standard mk1 flange as standard toyota ones are readily available. It looks fantastic, and i really love the sound it makes too. I can be quiet as everything can, but also be loud when needed. Ill try and get a video, but no promises as to quality of it as it will be off my phone.
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Mines just loud, i can do doing 5mph at 800rpm and its loud, i get more/better noise from the k&n 57i.

Patching rust is pointless as unless you cut out all the bad metal it'll just come back. I had my rears replaced with repair panels nearly 3 years ago now and there still like new, its just the 50 shades of red that let mine down. And my front arches are on there way, i dont see the point in spending upward of £2000 to get a full respray as the car is never going to be worth that.
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Mine is definately louder than the HKS mushroom i have fitted and it pops bangs and burbles :mrgreen: You know when you feel 12 again...i get that feeling all the time.
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I think basically, if you're still quite young, you'll love the Janspeed. If however, you are over 30 then a Magnex/Mongoose is a much better bet.

:tongue:

Janspeed will be too loud for most trackdays.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
ulysess1966

Janspeed

Post by ulysess1966 »

I'm 46 and I quite like the Janspeed exhaust on my car :)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I had my box cut open and adding wadding thinking it was missing.

Made a difference so doesn't give you a headache anymore. However, might be reverting to my 'hooligan' exhaust when its all back together :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”