Overfilled Coolant expansion Bottle

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TRINDA1664

Overfilled Coolant expansion Bottle

Post by TRINDA1664 »

Hi

I have slightly overfilled my coolant expansion bottle. Will there be any potential problems with this except a bit of coolant maybe escaping through the overflow pipe?

Thanks
Dan
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: Overfilled Coolant expansion Bottle

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

why did you fill the overflow?
TRINDA1664

Post by TRINDA1664 »

i filled the expansion tank, but as it is not very visable if the coolant has hit the full line i filled it to the bottom of the long neck.

Does that make sense?
Loque

Post by Loque »

Yeah you don't want to be putting water in there...
TRINDA1664

Post by TRINDA1664 »

When the engine gets hot it overflows to the reservoir tank and when the temperature drops it returns to th system. If the tank isnt full enough it will suck in air.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

TRINDA1664 wrote:When the engine gets hot it overflows to the reservoir tank and when the temperature drops it returns to th system. If the tank isnt full enough it will suck in air.

That's exactly how I thought it worked what's sky walker and logue on about? If its not between the min and max then it won't do it's job. Overfilling wont cause problems because the expansion bottle has a overflow of its own :thumleft:
No 2 :(
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?
TRINDA1664

Post by TRINDA1664 »

Hopefully the system will still works with it filled up a little extra.
It says it in the workshop manual, I will copy and paste the page later if you like. [/u]
TRINDA1664

Post by TRINDA1664 »

Sorry I can not copy and paste the pdf but this is what it says in the cooling system descriptions

Radiator cap
The radiator cap is a pressure type cap which seals the radiator, resulting in pressurization of the radiator as the coolant expands, The pressurization prevents the coolant from boiling even when the coolant temperature exceeds 100C. A relief valve (pressurization valve) and a vaccum valve (negative pressure valve) are built into the radiator cap. The relief valve opens and lets steam escape through the overflow pipe when the pressure generated inside the cooling system exceeds the limit. The vaccum valve opens to alleviate the vaccum which develops in the coolant system after the engine is stopped and the coolant temperature drops. The valves opening allows the coolant in the reservoir tank to return to the cooling system.

Reservoir Tank
The reservoir tank is used to catch coolant which overflows the cooling system as a result of volumetric expansion when the coolant is heated. The coolant in the reservoir tank returns to the radiator when the coolant temperature drops, thus keeping the radiator full at all times and avoiding needless coolant loss. Check the reservoir tank level to learn if the coolant needs to be replenished.

I hope the above answers your questions.

Thanks
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

:thumright: :thumleft:
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

You learn something new everyday, thanks for that Trinda.
TRINDA1664

Post by TRINDA1664 »

No problem :D
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

If it was just for the water to expand into what would be the point in having the expansion tank in the first place? You would just have an overflow pipe, like the one fitted to the expansion tank! :thumleft:
greeny

Post by greeny »

RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:

x2 :-s
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”