My AW11 Fritzinger widebody. Some years of work in pictures

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Re: My AW11 Fritzinger widebody. Some years of work in pictures

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I was considering replacing my twin fans with a singular universal one.
MartG

Post by MartG »

elbon50 wrote:No poles, trees, no cars, etc coming t'other way .....

Any armco is covered in thick padding where I go

IIRC a few years ago a Mk1 MR2 racecar was involved in a very heavy front end collision - it had no bumper bar fitted, and the remaining front structure of the car did a very good job of absorbing the impact with no injury to the driver.

Would never use one without the bar on the road though
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:I was considering replacing my twin fans with a singular universal one.

Remember reading that Jimi has done that Alex

For your type of use that is probably a good way to go I think :thumleft:
Gary ST165

Post by Gary ST165 »

Thanks for posting your project XLarge... i enjoyed reading about the AW11 as much as i have your Carlos Sainz :thumleft:
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Nice to see You here, Gary and thank You for the compliment !
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

The next challenge appeared. I´ll have to build one working part out of this two:

The upper one is the rear facing gear selector out of the 6 speed Corolla gearbox and the lower one the front facing gear selector out of an 5 speed MR2 gear box.
I´ll have to drill a hole into the gear box housing, put a sealing ring into it and combine the shaft of the MR2 selector with the mechanics from the Corolla selector.
Paul says it´s a pain of a job to get it working. I´ll will see, but I´m confident.
MartG

Post by MartG »

Interesting - good luck :thumleft:
Jak01

Post by Jak01 »

Looks like a great rare project!, keep up the good work. I found this the other day amongst my MR2 gear its a Fritzinger MR2 brochure :)

Thanks
Jack
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Yes, it´s the original Fritzinger brochure or more the flyer as it´s only a singel double side printed card. I own two original prints of it and also had the pricelist as a copy that I unfortunately lost.

The car on the photos shows some differs to mine. It hasn´t moulded gabs between the front wings and the skirts like mine. The doors still have the original fugue which are filled on my car. It haven´t moulded rear sides of the panel extensions and it had side repeaters my Fritzinger never had.

The backside of the brochure shows all the optional tire sizes and mentioned the optional exaust system my car must have in the past too. Wasn´t under the car anymore when I bought it.

What I really wand to have is a original print of this:

I only have this picture and some more of the original rally car ripped from eBay as the car was offered some years ago.
bwrc

Post by bwrc »

THis car ran in the Eifel Historic rally in 2010 so must still be around
http://www.msc-daun.de/Eifel-Rallye/New ... y-254.html
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

I know that it was sold to someone from Belgium who plans to rebuild it to drive it in the "Slowly Sideways" series. The pictures I have shows it how it was when it was sold to this guy. The car was offered to me befor but I had no use for it and no space to store it.
Jak01

Post by Jak01 »

Yes thats correct its more of flyer :), the model in the flyer maybe an earlier or later version I guess. Its quite strange you have mentioned that Fritzinger MR2 rally car print, as I actually own an original print with whats thought to be Klaus Fritzingers autograph on! On the other side of this is a postcard layout with the logos etc, I will get a photo of it when I can. Here is a picture of it, it was a very lucky find when I bought it :mrgreen:

There is also another MR2 Fritzinger sport brochure that I have seen a few times for sale but its always been a bit too expensive for me :?

Thanks again
Jack
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Ok, now You made me jealous :lol:
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Today it was moving day. I awaked my MR2 from it´s long sleep. Had a helping hand by my mate Marko with his VW Bus and the car trailer I´ve borrowed from my ex boss.

Pushed the MR2 out of the shed it was parked for 10 years now and pulled it to the trailer:

Now it´s parked on my mate´s driveway as we had to finish his project first:

Bolted an chainlift to the ceiling of my mate´s garage where we will pull the engine out of my car and than got it bit more in the details of the gearbox modification.

Striped down the gear selectors of the MR2 and the Corolla box and test fitted the Corolla selector parts to the MR2 selector shaft. It fit ! Just need to close weld one borehole in the shaft, drill one some millimeters away from that closed one and find a way to close the shaft hole of the Corolla box´s selector cover.

MR2 selector shaft vs. Corolla selector shaft:

Will get the Corolla gear box housing drilled next week, finish the selector and will pull the old engine and gearbox out of the MR2.
Jak01

Post by Jak01 »

Wow looks fantastic!, have you got any more photos of it :mrgreen: ? Its my favourite bodykit and it looks 'of the time' if you know what I mean.

Thanks
Jack :D
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

I don't have good pictures of it, but I can upload some old ones took at a meeting some years ago this evening.

Already booked a semi professional photographer who made really nice pictures of my other project car.
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Basicly I´m not a uge fan of bodykits, but I like the Fritzinger kit as it makes the car unique, has a tough history and embody the 80th soooo well.

The "High Tech" kit Toyota Germany sold in that times, made by Haslbeck is to smooth and to rounded I think:

Here the ten years old pictures. May be old, but the look didn´t changed in between:

pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

I love those wheels!
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Me too !

The Borbet A matches the AW11 so well like they was made for it. The edged shape of the center and the flat areas repeating the forms of the car, special with this bodykit.

I´ve searched for an alternative but I didn´t found one that fit so well.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Totally agree, for me there is no better looking wheel on a Mk1 than a Borbet A :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”