4AGE to 4AGZE conversion

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Elliott_Knight

4AGE to 4AGZE conversion

Post by Elliott_Knight »

Hello folks I am seriously considering buying a 4AGZE engine to fit in my NA MK1. Can someone send me some info on how to do the swap. I have never attempted an engine swap but I am well up for the challenge!
I know someone must of documented this swap but I can't find it...
Cheers folks :thumleft:

P.s. I gather I will also need a SC engine lid?
MartG

Re: 4AGE to 4AGZE conversion

Post by MartG »

Physically it's pretty much a direct swap. The wiring however will depend on the source of the engine - MR2 bigport is just about plug&play, but if it's from a Corolla ( bigport or smallport depending on model - smallport came in about halfway through AE92 production ). The one in my Mk1A is from an AE101 Corolla, and it took a fair bit of figuring out to get the wiring sorted.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

You don't 'need' an SC engine cover but you'll be able to get better airflow through the IC if you fit one.

The other big decision you need to make is which gearbox you go with. You can use either the n/a box or the SC one.

n/a box is lighter and you have no issues with fitment as it'll all just go back in the same as it was when it came out.

SC box is heavier and you'll need the right driveshafts to go with it (which can be expensive to get hold of unless you manage to get everything from one donor) but it's stronger (and presumably Toyota uprated the box for a reason when they built the factory cars)

I've stuck with the n/a box and I've had no major issues. I do end up replacing the box periodically usually due to worn synchros/difficult changes but that's probably got more to do with the condition of the donor boxes I'm fitting and the fact that we're sprinting (the car is subjected to about 120 full power launches a season) If I had the money to just stick a fully rebuilt box in there it'd probably keep trucking for ages.
MartG

Post by MartG »

kaiowas wrote:You don't 'need' an SC engine cover but you'll be able to get better airflow through the IC if you fit one.

I went with the option of fitting a chargecooler, so kept the NA lid
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

MartG wrote:
kaiowas wrote:You don't 'need' an SC engine cover but you'll be able to get better airflow through the IC if you fit one.

I went with the option of fitting a chargecooler, so kept the NA lid

I've been carrying a pump and radiator as ballast for about 2 years, I really should finish that off :oops:
Elliott_Knight

Post by Elliott_Knight »

Thank you very much gents, I don't know where I would be without the mr2 community!
The engine I am considering getting is from a member on this forum mk1chris I believe he's user name is and he has stated it is a corolla small port engine that has been setup for the mk1 but this means nothing to me.. I understand the concept of engine swapping but I wouldn't know where to start!
I will stick with my NA gearbox for now, the car has just hit 120k and I'm seing the first signs of 5 gear problems so will do the swap and get a donor box in a few months when I have some extra cash.
As I said earlier I wouldn't know where to start with the swap that's why I wanted some documented info to help but what would be better is if anyone lives near the Diss area (Norfolk/Suffolk) and could give me a hand.
I've got a indoor garage with room to work, axle stands and a trolly jack and most needed tools and would of course be happy to pay for your help and stick the kettle on!
Or if someone knows a good garage in the area that could do it, but I would prefer to do it myself with some help so that I can learn a little.
Regards and thanks again for your time
Elliott_Knight

Post by Elliott_Knight »

Also if it helps I have a 1988 mk1B !
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Elliott_Knight wrote:I wouldn't know where to start with the swap that's why I wanted some documented info to help but what would be better is if anyone lives near the Diss area (Norfolk/Suffolk) and could give me a hand.
I've got a indoor garage with room to work, axle stands and a trolly jack and most needed tools and would of course be happy to pay for your help and stick the kettle on!
Or if someone knows a good garage in the area that could do it, but I would prefer to do it myself with some help so that I can learn a little.
Regards and thanks again for your time

I'm in Wymondham, I did my own conversion (come to think of it my first GZE came via Chris as well) and I've got a garage full of tools and GZE parts. Happy to talk you though it and help out where I can.
MartG

Post by MartG »

Link to wiring diagrams for smallport GZE ( AE92, but AE101 is virtually identical ) - I printed them out and taped them into one large diagram when doing my swap http://club4ag.com/tech-specs/4a-gze-ja ... -diagrams/

More info here on connecting the engine loom to the chassis loom http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/4agze/wiring.html
Elliott_Knight

Post by Elliott_Knight »

Kalowas thanks for your offer good to know your so near! And Martg thank you also for the diagrams sure will come in handy when I have my car in bits!
The thing is when it comes to wiring Diagrams I haven't got a lot of experience and in this conversion wiring seems to be the main task. ](*,)
How long should this conversion take? I have 2 days off a week and would love to get it done in that time...
In relation to the engine lid what shall I do shall I purchase a SC one as I will need to fit it to my NA car for when the new engine is in or is there a good mod to do?
Kalowas would you be able to give me a physical hand with this swap? I can come to you if that's easier and I would be more than happy to pay for your work and expertise
I really do appreciate your time folks :thumleft:
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

The wiring in the engine package I have for sale has been done. It came out of an mr2 :thumleft:
Smallport 4AGTE
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Elliott_Knight wrote:P.s. I gather I will also need a SC engine lid?

The SC engine lid is no bolt on swap. The position of the lock on the shell deviates due to the space the intercooler needs. The lock on the N/A sits left to the middle. On the SC it´s located in the center of the engine lid and the body. The lock can be moved to the needed position, but You´ll have to drill it of the shell and weld it to where You´ll need it.

I´ve planed to swap my N/A to a SC in the past too and bought a front clip of a AE101 Levin GTZ, but I´ve planed to use a watercooled intercooler from a ST165 Celica GT Four that don´t need direct air flow and is smaller and nicer to fit.
But my plans changed in the mean time as I´ve bought a ST185 Celica CS which fullfills all my power needs and my MR2 is only my collectors car now and will get a normal 4A-GE big port.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Elliott_Knight wrote:
Kalowas would you be able to give me a physical hand with this swap? I can come to you if that's easier and I would be more than happy to pay for your work and expertise
I really do appreciate your time folks :thumleft:

I'll see what I can do. It will depend on timing as our sprint season starts in April and I've got a few things I need to finish of before then. If as Chris says the engine is ready to go then we should be able to do the whole job over a weekend easily though.
Elliott_Knight

Post by Elliott_Knight »

Thanks to Chris I am a proud owner of a 4A-GZE! By the looks of things I'm going to be spending a lot of time prepping the engine before I attempt to fit it, no point on rushing it as I won't be getting a chance to service it out of the car very often!
Elliott_Knight

Post by Elliott_Knight »

Got a lick of paint on the engine and I'm pretty happy with its condition. I'm going to get a new exhaust gasket as its fallen apart and new cam cover Gaskets as they are a bit rigid. I've got a new clutch on its way and it's looking pretty good..
Is there something else I should change while I have the engine out of the car? The cam belt is in very good condition and doesn't look like it needs changing. I'm wondering shall I change the head gasket while I'm here?
Cheers :thumleft:
MartG

Post by MartG »

If the head isn't leaking leave it. Waterpump is a good one to change though, as it's a PITA while the engine is in the car
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Does it have a big pulley kit on or stock?

If it has a big pulley kit then throw the plastic Ford idler away and fit a Camry V6 cambelt idler in its place.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Think it's my old AE92 engine. It has a big pulley.

No idea on the idler, though mine was plastic, though it did 30,000 miles okay. No idea if there was a better idler fitted in the early days.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

As far as i can tell the kit always came with that garbage Ford plastic idler, it has been known to fail many times and is not fit for purpose in this application, you did well to get 30k out of it Lauren they usually fail well before then.

My V6 cambelt idler pulley mod is bombproof and will last the life of the car.
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

It did indeed have the ford idler pulley on it, so as paul says elliot, thats a good thing to change.

I would still consider doing the timing belt as although it may look good, you'll never have any guarantee of when it was changed, or how hard the belt may have become.

Oh, BTW:

:ttiwwp:

:lol:
Smallport 4AGTE

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”