[Mk2] [Turbo] Boost pressure question

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

joemacmr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] Boost pressure question

Post by joemacmr2 »

Hi, I have recently bought a mr2 turbo rev2, love it, I found plumbing for boost gauge that must have been in the car before. So I attached a boost gauge today to see what psi it's running and it came up at almost 10 psi at full throttle in 3rd. I know that stock psi is around 7 psi. Is it the aftermarket exhaust and induction kit giving me the additional boost increase above stock. If I added a mbc and upped boost is say 14, (after disabling fuel cut which I hope someone can show me how safely) would the 4 psi be a very noticeable bhp gain?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Boost pressure question

Post by Ryan S »

with a bigger intercooler 14psi is fine, and yes, it's a massive difference over stock, not only because of the raised boost but you also have to disable the tvsv, this limits the boost in 1st and 2nd, with this disabled you'll get the full 14psi in 1st and 2nd. you can get a FCD from Peter at s-bits :thumleft: decat, exhaust an air filter will see more gains, :thumleft:
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Hi mate, thanks for reply, am I correct in saying that I'm running almost 10 psi already due to exhaust and air intake? Also would there be any harm in using stock intercooler and upping boost to 14 psi?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

joemacmr2 wrote:Hi mate, thanks for reply, am I correct in saying that I'm running almost 10 psi already due to exhaust and air intake? Also would there be any harm in using stock intercooler and upping boost to 14 psi?

10psi is about right, i wouldn't run more on a stock cooler, it's a piece of crap mate, change that before you do anything, even the cheap ebay specials are better than the stock ones, providing you have a GTSchris shroud fitted :thumleft:
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Thanks mate, since I have a rev2 92, can I just plug the vacuum hose from map sensor to get rid of fuel cut even though I have teed off this for boost gauge?? When installing mbc, when disabling tvsv, do I only need to plug the end off the actuator or the other end as well, wherever that is?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

joemacmr2 wrote:Thanks mate, since I have a rev2 92, can I just plug the vacuum hose from map sensor to get rid of fuel cut even though I have teed off this for boost gauge?? When installing mbc, when disabling tvsv, do I only need to plug the end off the actuator or the other end as well, wherever that is?

no i wouldn;t do that, yes it will work, but you won't have fuel cut to protect your engine if something goes wrong, as for the tvsv, there is a blue electrical plug under the inlet manifold, unplug that, it's muuuuch easier than p1$$ing about with vac lines etc...plus, easier to revert back to stock if needed.
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Do you get to this from above or below?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Below the car, look up at the inlet manifold, you can't miss it :thumleft:
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Last question, when I attach mbc, one end to compressor, other end to left hand side actuator nipple, will I plug the right hand side nipple (which leads to vsv) with a screw even tho it's disabled as mentioned above
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ummmm, no. The boost controller fits between the turbo and the actuator, you need to cut that hose and fit the controller in between, there won't be any hose left that needs blocking off.
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Not sure I understand what u mean mate, there is a hose from compressor to actuator, and another from actuator to vsv. I thought u put the mbc between compressor and actuator ( left hand nipple if looking from passenger side) then u have the spare hose which currently runs from actuator (right hand nipple to vsv, which needs taken out at actuator end and plugged. Is this not correct?
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Think I now understand what u mean, because I'm unplugging the electrical connector underneath to disable vsv, are u saying I now have no need to touch the hose that runs from actuator to vsv??[/u]
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

joemacmr2 wrote:Not sure I understand what u mean mate, there is a hose from compressor to actuator, and another from actuator to vsv. I thought u put the mbc between compressor and actuator ( left hand nipple if looking from passenger side) then u have the spare hose which currently runs from actuator (right hand nipple to vsv, which needs taken out at actuator end and plugged. Is this not correct?

Yes it is correct, plug the actuator right hand nipple
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

If I plug this nipple, do I need to plug other end under car or is fine plugged at one end, if I don't go down the electrical connector route?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ok, on the actuator, there is 2 pipes, one to the vsvs, don't touch it, the other goes to the turbo, the one going to the turbo you need to cut, leaving you with 2 open ends of pipe/hose these both go on to the MBC, then, disconnect the vsv plug mentioned earlier. Job done :thumleft:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

sheppy wrote:Ok, on the actuator, there is 2 pipes, one to the vsvs, don't touch it, the other goes to the turbo, the one going to the turbo you need to cut, leaving you with 2 open ends of pipe/hose these both go on to the MBC, then, disconnect the vsv plug mentioned earlier. Job done :thumleft:

And ensure you get the MBC plumbed in the right way.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

You only need to cut the hose between the actuator and t/vsv OR pull the blue plug out from under the car. Not both. I recommend pulling the plug, it means you can revert to stock in a matter of minutes rather than trying to get a heap of hoses out of the way to plumb in a new vacuum line.

No problem pulling the boost pressure sensor vacuum hose out of its base. Just make sure you plug the hose to the intake manifold up (boost leak otherwise) or use that nipple for your boost gauge. You must understand you will have no fuel cut with this though. I only overboosted both my turbo sw20s twice. :lol: Both lived to tell the tale :o
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Thanks mate, I'm not going to push it too hard, probably to 14 psi max. I've heard u can keep stock ic and run fans all the time at 14 psi (diconnecting engine lid temp sensor instead of ripping out existing ic. Any truth in this?
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Disconnecting the temp sensor (which is just a matter of unclipping it) makes the fan run full time.

1 bar (14.5psi) is all I would run on pump gas.
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Excuse my ignorance mate, what do u mean pump gas, do u mean on standard ic? If I was to up boost to around 14, would I need ic fans on all the time?

Return to “Modifications”