How long to register an MR2 with the DVLA?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Hurstie1981

How long to register an MR2 with the DVLA?

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Hello,

My MR2 is in the country now with the importer, and he is going to register the car on 27th August. I require insurance for this to be done, but the insurers say they will only insure me for 14 days until they recieve a registration number, and if i done give them one within 14 days they policy will be void, my payment lost, and they will no longer insure me.

So obviously, before i take out the policy, how long does it take to reister?
Spittinflames

Re: How long to register an MR2 with the DVLA?

Post by Spittinflames »

The import place who got me the car said give them 3 days to register it. Within 3 days they phoned me up with the number plate so i could insure it before i picked it up. I think it's just a matter of getting all the relevent docs and taking them to dvla.. so they can issue a reg num, You should also be given a certificate with the reg on it... this is for getting new plates made up until the log book comes your way. The importer should do all this for you and just phone when registered.... then you insure it
Blokey

Post by Blokey »

I'm suprised to hear that. When mine was imported the company prepping it took care of all that for me. I had a private plate for the car and sent the paperwork for that on to them - but they sorted out all of that.

They gave me a date when the car was ready for collection - and I insured it from there on - job done.

B.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Ditto... I had everything done for me. They registered it and put the plate on and told me the date I could collect it, I just then arranged insurance on that day.
tubby_d

Post by tubby_d »

my car was registered on monday and I receive the number plates through the post on the following wednesday (about 7 working days), but it would have been quicker if i went to pick it up, poss something like 5 working days
screech

Post by screech »

don't rely on the dvla, i registered it on the wednesday, they told me i'd have the paperwork by monday, never arrived, never arrived tues so i rung up, they said it should've arrived tues or wed (today), the letter did arrive today, addressed yesterday, so they hadn't sent it off until i rung to complain!
de_niro69

Post by de_niro69 »

the place whom imported it should deal with that mate.....
mr2fraza

Post by mr2fraza »

Hi, if you what to be the first registered keeper then the insurance will need to be in your name, if the import company register it and use their insurance they will be the first keeper and you will be the second keeper. It should take no more than three days for the DVLA to issue a tax disc and plate. Done this many times and I've even had the registration as quickly as the next day, a few times.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”