Ebay alloy radiator and twin fans/shroud

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

Ebay alloy radiator and twin fans/shroud

Post by craig »

Looking at these:

Alloy radiator:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110900531934

Twin fans and shroud:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230807837050

Anyone had experience of the above, and is it good value for money?

I'm always a bit cautious about buying things like this off ebay, but I had a Japspeed exhaust and XS power IC with no problems :-k

Many thanks.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Ebay alloy radiator and twin fans/shroud

Post by Peter Gidden »

I have a full kit in the workshop for you to look at.
craig

Post by craig »

For sale? 8-[
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

RedMR² wrote:For sale? 8-[

Unfortunately not. Belongs to Tsango.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

What's your motivation for considering a change? Temp issues or aesthetics?
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:What's your motivation for considering a change? Temp issues or aesthetics?

To renew my 19 year old rad and fans.

No temp issues or anything, and not for aesthetic reasons, solely to renew the existing.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Makes sense, especially if they end up in the same state as the aircon rads :pale:

Interested to see what you think about the end results :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:Makes sense, especially if they end up in the same state as the aircon rads :pale:

Interested to see what you think about the end results :thumleft:

Air con rad, compressor and associated pipes will be removed when the rad gets fitted etc. :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I don't miss it in the Mule to be honest. Well, apart from JAE weekend where I was like a boiled toad sat in the car :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:I don't miss it in the Mule to be honest. Well, apart from JAE weekend where I was like a boiled toad sat in the car :lol:

lol, to be honest, given it's not a tbar, I don't really use the a/c!
Torero

Post by Torero »

Looks like the exact ones I had from eBay on my V6 build, Craig.

Even though mine's a rev 5 during the build I'd replaced all bushes, droplinks, ARBs, ball joints etc it made sense to put a radiator in at the same time. particularly as the system was drained and the car hoisted off the ground.We managed it in a couple of hours. A little bit fiddly on the hose clips but the electrical connectors plug straight in and they're a breeze to bleed.

Well worth it , I didn't connect the engine bay fan as I could find a plug on the loom and I've got a set of Rogue engine lid fans to go in there but during the summer and queueing to get into JAE I could hear the shroud fans running (but only just) and saw the temp dropping to just below halfway in a matter of minutes. Not bad with only the shroud fans and nothing else.

The biggest bonus is that the old MR2 fans weigh more than the new rad and shroud put together, that's got to be a winner. :thumleft:

John.

3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
craig

Post by craig »

Torero wrote:Looks like the exact ones I had from eBay on my V6 build, Craig.

Even though mine's a rev 5 during the build I'd replaced all bushes, droplinks, ARBs, ball joints etc it made sense to put a radiator in at the same time. particularly as the system was drained and the car hoisted off the ground.We managed it in a couple of hours. A little bit fiddly on the hose clips but the electrical connectors plug straight in and they're a breeze to bleed.

Well worth it , I didn't connect the engine bay fan as I could find a plug on the loom and I've got a set of Rogue engine lid fans to go in there but during the summer and queueing to get into JAE I could hear the shroud fans running (but only just) and saw the temp dropping to just below halfway in a matter of minutes. Not bad with only the shroud fans and nothing else.

The biggest bonus is that the old MR2 fans weigh more than the new rad and shroud put together, that's got to be a winner. :thumleft:

John.

Excellent, thanks for that John! :D :thumleft:
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

with the rad check that it has the nipple on the bleed valve for attaching the clear hose to when bleeding the system, the one on my rev 3 doesn't and has made it a pain to bleed after my engine conversion

chris
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

thomp1983 wrote:with the rad check that it has the nipple on the bleed valve for attaching the clear hose to when bleeding the system, the one on my rev 3 doesn't and has made it a pain to bleed after my engine conversion

chris

Just jack the back of the car up. I've not used a hose on the rad. for years.
Torero

Post by Torero »

RedMR² wrote:Excellent, thanks for that John! :D :thumleft:

No worries buddy. Make sure you get the 60mm wide rad as some are only an inch wide and might as well be made of chocolate.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I've had the Stoney racing alloy radiator+spal fans for about 15 months now and it works great. They were also an ebay based shop although I don't know if the company still exists anymore.

It is several kg lighter than stock setup.

One thing I have noticed over the last couple of months after removing the air con rad is that the water temp takes a lot longer to reach operating temp and sometimes even goes below normal operating temp when revving high (sometimes even on long boosted pull). Now whether that's because my aircon rad was a huge blockage or whether the stoney racing rad (and/or spal fans) is more efficient I don't know.

I'm aware it's winter but I never had this issue before taking off the aircon rad (I've had the car about 8 years too).
craig

Post by craig »

Kongaroo wrote:I've had the Stoney racing alloy radiator+spal fans for about 15 months now and it works great. They were also an ebay based shop although I don't know if the company still exists anymore.

It is several kg lighter than stock setup.

One thing I have noticed over the last couple of months after removing the air con rad is that the water temp takes a lot longer to reach operating temp and sometimes even goes below normal operating temp when revving high (sometimes even on long boosted pull). Now whether that's because my aircon rad was a huge blockage or whether the stoney racing rad (and/or spal fans) is more efficient I don't know.

I'm aware it's winter but I never had this issue before taking off the aircon rad (I've had the car about 8 years too).

Cheers Kong, I've opted for the combo as shown in the 2 links in my original post.

Like I say, air con will be going in the bin at the same time of fitting. That combined with the weight saving of the radiator change should free up a few kilos! :thumleft:

I'll weigh the stock set up compared to the new when it gets fitted, also, the weight of the a/c compressor/rad & pipes :thumleft:
Adam

Post by Adam »

I bought a stoney racing radiator to replace my busted old one, it fitted well but was about 100mm wider than the old radiator (rev 2 na import)...they also forgot to mention the oe fans didnt fit
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Adam wrote:I bought a stoney racing radiator to replace my busted old one, it fitted well but was about 100mm wider than the old radiator (rev 2 na import)...they also forgot to mention the oe fans didnt fit

Sounds like you got the wrong radiator.
tsango

Post by tsango »

RedMR² wrote:I've opted for the combo as shown in the 2 links in my original post.

This is the set up I have Craig although cannot comment yet as Peter is in the process of fitting it.

Gotta be a good choice though :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”