[Mk2] [Turbo] Chargecooler Bleeding Query

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hmltnangel

[Mk2] [Turbo] Chargecooler Bleeding Query

Post by hmltnangel »

Arighty,

Just about to drop the car back down afetr its lengthy axle stand stint :)

My worry is the chargecooler system I put on whilst up in the air.

Everything seems to be working ok. But I am convinced its not bled properly. I cant get any more fluid into the system but when I take the cap off the CC I cant see the 'whirlpool effect' people talk about.

When I feel the pipes though I can feel what seems to be water pum,ping through them, when I squeeze them to limit the flow a bit, th noise of the pump changes slightly. Everything suggests that its fine except the whirlpool inside the CC.

Any suggestions?
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Chargecooler Bleeding Query

Post by bobhatton »

Sounds like lack of flow, how is it piped up?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

19mm pipe all the way with the exception of one section that goes from the pump to the CC itself whic is 22mm. Rechecked it all and no kinks anywhere, I used a proper 180 degree bend to get around my pump placement issues.

The 19mm is routed ok, pretty much straight along the underside of the car, up and over the steering, then behind the fans, inside the wing and into the radiator which is an ST205 one. No places it could kink and reduce flow.

Was thinking an airlock in the top of the radiator could be causing it so was going to get a coolant flush tee and fit it to the pip inside the wing at the top of teh radiator if anyone knows where to get in the UK?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Where is the pump and what way does it pump. How have you got the flow and return piped to the charge cooler?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

The whirlpool effect that you're seeing is quite normal.
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

Im not seeing the whirlpool effect .... hence the query :lol:

The pump is mounted between the Air filter and charcoal cannister

i'll pop a diagram up soon.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

hmltnangel wrote:Im not seeing the whirlpool effect .... hence the query :lol:

That'll teach me to read the post properly won't it #-o

It does sound like you have an airlock then. Have you tried blowing into the filler hole in the cc core with a pipe that completely seals the hole? That's what I do on mine as/when I need to...
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

hmltnangel wrote:Im not seeing the whirlpool effect .... hence the query :lol:

The pump is mounted between the Air filter and charcoal cannister

i'll pop a diagram up soon.

That sounds too high, it should be down by the gear box. What pump is it?
Marf

Post by Marf »

hmltnangel wrote:

Any suggestions?

Swap the pipes going into the charge cooler, sounds like you have them the wrong way round.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Marf wrote:
hmltnangel wrote:

Any suggestions?

Swap the pipes going into the charge cooler, sounds like you have them the wrong way round.

Not to poo-poo that idea but I had mine the wrong way around for quite some time and it didn't have any effect on the flow or bleeding as such, just that when it did flow it was pushing the coolant straight up at the underside of the cap, forcing some through into the overflow bottle at times.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Furry muff, I was just of the understanding that if you had them the wrong way round, the first thing you'd notice was no whirlpool effect :thumleft:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

To a certain extent, you're quite correct. Instead you get what I can only describe as a bubbling/boiling effect lol. With the cap off, water was coming straight out of the core.
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

Marf wrote:
hmltnangel wrote:

Any suggestions?

To get the same effect you just need to swap the wires round so tha the pump is pumping the opposite way.... tried that and it doesnt have any effect.

Blowing into the CC Core almost worked as I got a big gurgle then it sucked teh entire core down before I could stop it, so im sure theres a big blockage of air somewhere, I just cant get it out!
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

hmltnangel wrote:
Marf wrote:
hmltnangel wrote:

Any suggestions?

To get the same effect you just need to swap the wires round so tha the pump is pumping the opposite way.... tried that and it doesnt have any effect.

Blowing into the CC Core almost worked as I got a big gurgle then it sucked teh entire core down before I could stop it, so im sure theres a big blockage of air somewhere, I just cant get it out!

You have the pipe work and or pump going the wrong way, what pump is it?
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

its an st205 pump mate

Used Toyo diy parts diagrams to copy the hose layout from, then red to positive, black to negative.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

hmltnangel wrote:its an st205 pump mate

Used Toyo diy parts diagrams to copy the hose layout from, then red to positive, black to negative.

Ok. So the outlet from the charge cooler, the pipe closest to the turbo goes to the bottom connection on the pump, then the side connection on the pump goes to the front rad, then the return back to the charge cooler, connection closest to the inlet manifold.
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

thanks for the help but having a dumb day today :)

The ST205 pump, both pipes go the same way so bottom/side? In the image above, what pipe from the pump goes to the Core and what goes to the pre-rad?
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

This is how I have it hooked up.

gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

To bleed the system correctly, the pump needs to be at the lowest point of the system - at least that was the case for me.

I had nightmares trying to bleed my setup, and in the end, I un bolted my pump, and let it sit on the driveway. As soon as i fired the power up, it self bled straight away.

Then I just reattached the pump when the system was full
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

get a marine pump!

Return to “Modifications”