[Mk2] [Turbo] Tin top to T bar

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

[Mk2] [Turbo] Tin top to T bar

Post by craig »

I currently have a rev3 tin top turbo. Before Rory posted up about changing to a T bar, I was already looking for one.

Now he's gone for it, I can't help but feel even more compelled to transfer my bits and pieces to a T bar....

I've had 2 T bars previously, but must admit I miss it. Even the leaks :lol:

Just gotta have some of this in the sun (my previous rev2 turbo):

8)

Anyone else miss their T bar?

(I have a few options up my sleeve :mrgreen: )
Last edited by craig on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Tin top to T bar

Post by Ryan S »

i could NEVER have a tintop, i've had 4 mr2's, all of them been a t-bar. the leaks, the creaks the wet windows....all worth it when you get that 1 day with the t-tops off!!!!!
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Never understood open top motoring tbh. Fair enough if its a screaming v8 in a ferrari but not in a 4pot jap box.
Rory

Post by Rory »

Go for it! Start a project thread!
Nick Bryant

Post by Nick Bryant »

Ive only ever had a t-bar but Ill reserve judgment until next week after ive drive a tintop for a bit.
So far I can say its a lot more cozier in a tintop and I can honestly say the days when i used to come out of work and the towel that was on my seat was soaked due to leaky t-bars wont be missed. :thumleft:

But yeah, roof off, screamer pipe! now they were some of the best days I've ever had. :wink:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

T-bar is soooo different from open top motoring, well, from full soft top I mean, I haaaaate soft tops, feel far too exposed, t-top is perfectly inbetween. Nothing wrong with a 4 pot motor either, :thumleft:
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

sheppy wrote:i could NEVER have a tintop, i've had 4 mr2's, all of them been a t-bar. the leaks, the creaks the wet windows....all worth it when you get that 1 day with the t-tops off!!!!!

This, only had a T-Bar(First MR2 and just happened to be a T-Bar) but would never get a tintop or sunroof 2, those few days of sunshine are all worth it. :D

Can't wait til summer! 8)
Loque

Post by Loque »

I'm still very lukewarm on the whole idea of the T-Bar. It very rarely gets used if I'm honest; it leaks and all you can hear above 50-60 when it's off is wind noise. If I were to buy again I'd go tintop.
craig

Post by craig »

Given this a lot of thought, and it just wouldn't make financial sense. Don't get me wrong, I love T bars.

Mine in the sun was fantastic, but I remember me and our lass having wet backs and dripping down the a pillar when it riled it down! :lol:

Plus, they're heavier than a tin top due to all the strengthening.
T bar - 1262Kg, Tin top 1179Kg = 83Kgs heavier!

Not knocking the t bar at all, I loved mine, but thinking back, the whole reason I got a tin top was no leaks, no creaking in winter and less flex etc.

Decided to keep the tin top, and spend money better elsewhere. :thumleft:
Rory

Post by Rory »

RedMR² wrote:Given this a lot of thought, and it just wouldn't make financial sense.

Wtf? Financial sense? Sounds boring! Pick up a cheap na t-bar for next to nothing (maybe a nice rev5) and transplant. Then break and sell the remainder of your tin top. You could probably almost break even :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Rory wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Given this a lot of thought, and it just wouldn't make financial sense.

Wtf? Financial sense? Sounds boring! Pick up a cheap na t-bar for next to nothing (maybe a nice rev5) and transplant. Then break and sell the remainder of your tin top. You could probably almost break even :lol:

Lot of effort for a glass roof dude lol. I appreciate you've gone for it and I applaud your efforts. Car looks great.

I've broken one car, and it did my head in :lol: I'd rather just not bother and just spend the money elsewhere.

Maybe it is boring, but it makes sense to me :thumleft:
Rory

Post by Rory »

Fair enough. I'm just winding you up anyway :D
craig

Post by craig »

Rory wrote:Fair enough. I'm just winding you up anyway :D

I know mate. :wink:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

there'll be a day in the summer when a guy in a t-bar pulls up next to you and you'll regret it :thumleft:

to be fair, the leaking is very easily fixed, either with giving the seals a good clean or the silicone trick :thumleft: not much can be done about the weight mind you :(
al/c

tin top to t-bar.

Post by al/c »

your old t-bar shell might be available soon...without the carbon bits as i,m going the other way :thumleft:
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

RedMR² wrote:

Thats extreme though, and sounds like a comparision between a Rev 1/2 NA Tintop vs. a Rev3+ T-Bar Turbo with A/C, from what I've seen previously.

In general the T-bar (and asssociated chassis strengthening) add's ~20-25kg to the Tintop weight (i.e. largely irrelevant for all but the most extreme road cars).

Still never fancied a T-bar myself though - prefer tintops :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:there'll be a day in the summer when a guy in a t-bar pulls up next to you and you'll regret it :thumleft:

to be fair, the leaking is very easily fixed, either with giving the seals a good clean or the silicone trick :thumleft: not much can be done about the weight mind you :(

There'll always be that jealousy in summer when there be people knocking around in summer with the roof out. Like I say I loved my T bar in the summer sun.

Conversely, when it's siling it down and they're getting wet from leaking t bars, they'll be jealous of me in my warm dry tin top :mrgreen:
craig

Re: tin top to t-bar.

Post by craig »

al/c wrote:your old t-bar shell might be available soon...without the carbon bits as i,m going the other way :thumleft:

Don't tempt me :lol:

It would be nice to see it live on, and nice to have it back! :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Rosssco wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

Thats extreme though, and sounds like a comparision between a Rev 1/2 NA Tintop vs. a Rev3+ T-Bar Turbo with A/C, from what I've seen previously.

In general the T-bar (and asssociated chassis strengthening) add's ~20-25kg to the Tintop weight (i.e. largely irrelevant for all but the most extreme road cars).

Still never fancied a T-bar myself though - prefer tintops :lol:

That was off wiki. 91 tin top and t bar.

If I'm honest, both have their merits. :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:
sheppy wrote:there'll be a day in the summer when a guy in a t-bar pulls up next to you and you'll regret it :thumleft:

There'll always be that jealousy in summer when there be people knocking around in summer with the roof out. Like I say I loved my T bar in the summer sun.

Conversely, when it's siling it down and they're getting wet from leaking t bars, they'll be jealous of me in my warm dry tin top :mrgreen:

i've been quite lucky, the only one of mine that hasn't responded to the silicone trick is my latest one, simply because i've not had a chance to do it yet :thumleft: it leaks terribly at the passenger side :(

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”