[Mk2] [Turbo] Nitrous injection

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Is nitrous worth the cost and effort

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 13

chaos19810

[Mk2] [Turbo] Nitrous injection

Post by chaos19810 »

Good evening,

I thought i'd throw this out there and see if anyone has done it or any experience or views on it? i cant decide a direction for my car and its the lack of direction that slowing me down and sapping my enthusiastium. I think i would like some thing to play on a drag strip or on a track.

I wouldn't be looking for a huge power gains Don't want to "blow those welds on my manifold"

For those that don't know my engine has had a rebuild bottom end a a rev 3 head conversion and refurb with ct20b including a rev3 fueling system and walbro 255 pump, unrated inter cooler soon to be charge cooler with a water meth injection kit to be included once i get the engine turning over.

Its just a though and i searched the internet and not lots of companies willing to sell a kit but no real reviews or drives thoughts especially on turbo'd cars
big_joe

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Nitrous injection

Post by big_joe »

I need NOS, 2 of them, the big ones........and I need them by tonight. My only advise would be.......

1) amateurs don't use nitrous oxide
2) be careful you don't blow yourself to pieces

Right that's the fast and furious jokes out of the way, hopefully someone with some useful information will be along to help you :).
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Nitrous works very well as long as you use the right kit and it is fitted right.

Nitrous Oxide Systems is the only make to go for, far far better that any of the others makes.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

But don't use a NOS kit with a progressive controller because you will have a rather expensive door stop. :)
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

I remember JJ running NOS on his tubby back in 2004/2005. He is always good for advice.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

T.F.S. wrote:But don't use a NOS kit with a progressive controller because you will have a rather expensive door stop. :)

Not if you know how to do it, it all comes down to knowledge and experience
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

One injector is the wrong way to fit nitrous to a 4 cylinder engine
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

bobhatton wrote:
T.F.S. wrote:But don't use a NOS kit with a progressive controller because you will have a rather expensive door stop. :)

Well if your like to impart that knowledge and experience id be grateful,

So would people recommend a direct port injection set up running a wet shot to avoid det? and how would that work with there being 8 ports? with the t-vis butterflys?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Yes direct port wet system with the injectors installed in the 4 open runners.
From the outlet of the fuel filter run a fuel line to a new fuel pressure regulator set to 5psi to feed the fuel solenoid. The regulator to have a boost feed.
Start with 50HP and use a good octane booster in the fuel, or better still race fuel.
An uprated fuel pump would also help if the stock one is still fitted
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

bobhatton wrote:Yes direct port wet system with the injectors installed in the 4 open runners.
From the outlet of the fuel filter run a fuel line to a new fuel pressure regulator set to 5psi to feed the fuel solenoid. The regulator to have a boost feed.
Start with 50HP and use a good octane booster in the fuel, or better still race fuel.
An uprated fuel pump would also help if the stock one is still fitted

Thanks for that, i'll need to look into how i set that up it sounds a little more complex that a single port injected system, or is it just a four way splitter put after the no2 and fuel solenoids and then use the mixers in to the manifold?

If you dont mid the questions i have another one, is a progressive system the way to go on a turbo'd car or just a WOT response?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Yes just splitters, or small manifolds after solenoids. to make it 4 way.

With a stock MR2 turbo you are going to have problems putting the power to the ground, so I would only use the nitrous in say third and fourth to start with.
If you start using drag slicks and have lots of grip then you can use the nitrous off the line.

I was the first to make a progressive nitrous system back in 1981, but I find it is not needed, there are other way to control how the power comes in.
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

That sounds like and interesting way to having it working i suppose to could run a micro switch on third and fourth in parallel which connect to the the wot switch on the throttle body, throw in an arming switch as well and that the wiring all sorted out. :lol:

My next question of many i'm sure is if i have a fogger set up so it delivers a 50hp shop does that mean with a direct port injection kit i will have 200hp extra in total? I don't like the sound of putting that much through my engine not that 500hp wouldn't be fun but only for a split second.

Or can you have a 50hp shot that's split four ways between the 4 foggers?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Yes, 12 hp or so each fogger, all done with the jet sizes.

Lots of ways to switch the nitrous on, or keep it off
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

It is a good way to get a bolt on performance increase but I doubt you'll end up using it on a daily basis as you don't get that much spray time out of a mid sized bottle and you'll probably end up saving it for the dragstrip after the initial novelty wears off, lol.

I removed my bottle from the frunk in the end after changing to a GT3071r because (for me) there was enough power already and I found I just never used it. It seemed a bit of a waste carrying the dead weight around all the time on the daily commute :eye:
greeny

Post by greeny »

Kongaroo wrote:It is a good way to get a bolt on performance increase but I doubt you'll end up using it on a daily basis as you don't get that much spray time out of a mid sized bottle and you'll probably end up saving it for the dragstrip after the initial novelty wears off, lol.

I removed my bottle from the frunk in the end after changing to a GT3071r because (for me) there was enough power already and I found I just never used it. It seemed a bit of a waste carrying the dead weight around all the time on the daily commute :eye:

Did you ever get any results with/without nitrous kong?
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

bobhatton wrote:

In the NOS manual it says that the solenoids need reconditioning after every 5 minutes of use with a progressive controller.
sp00n

Post by sp00n »

i had a 25 then 50 bhp kit on a old mondeo i had, it was a 1.8, that put out the same bhp as a 2.0, before the NOS :thumleft: (some 170-180bhp with NOS)

NOS is alot of fun, but put too much in and its gunna be an expensave lesson. Also put it into a worn out engine recklessly, and its gunna kill it.

bottom line, if you miss use NOS your gunna have a bad time!

do your research, and get on the NOS kit manufacturers forums!

i had the WON street blaster kit (still have it somewhere, not for sale), and i think i still have a record on the WON forums (fastest through a 11lb bottle on the day of installation) .... it is and adictive .... and expensave for a refill!! (or it was some 10-13 years ago)

EDIT:- forgot to add, for more than 50bhp, at the time i was advised to get a progressave controller, as the power delivery could be tuned (too much power too soon = boom) and also the jets could be tuned to prevent leaning etc.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

I should point out that NOS is a company rather than an acronym for Nitrous Oxide.

The company do not have a forum and are known for one hit big shot kits which are best suited to American large displacement engines...hitting a 3SGTE sized engine with a single hit of anything over 75bhp is really asking for trouble and TBH its not going to help your clutch/drivetrain/ignition system/tyres hold that power..it's very likely you will either break something or break traction.

Progressive systems are a little different, they feed the nitrous is slowly so the mechanical parts don't get punched in the face with 100lbft all a once, there are company's out there that have advice forums and are far better suited to our smaller European engines

Try www.noswizard.com , they have a good informative forum and tried and tested products (also known as Noswizard/Highpower/WON)
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Near stock 3sgte with a wet 50 shot.
:)

Return to “Modifications”