Oil Filters interchangeable between GT4 and MR2 Turbo?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

Oil Filters interchangeable between GT4 and MR2 Turbo?

Post by Mike »

As the title really. I usually order my filters online but dont really have the time to do so on this occasion.

If I buy an ST185 GT4 oil filter from Halfords/Unipart etc, will it fit my Rev 2 Turbo?

Thanks
dawesy

Re: Oil Filters interchangeable between GT4 and MR2 Turbo?

Post by dawesy »

yep will be fine. just make sure that any filter you fit has the anti drainback valve in. it stops the oil draining back when the engine is off and minimises the time taken for the oil to be supplied on restarts.
IIRC the genuine filter isnt too expensive from Toyota and they should keep them in stock.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

stock filter is used for the Yaris as well IIRC so should be plenty on the shelf at Mr T and as said why not get the OEM one as you know it works properly :thumleft:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Mike wrote:If I buy an ST185 GT4 oil filter from Halfords/Unipart etc, will it fit my Rev 2 Turbo?

Same part number for all turbos. 90915-YZZJ2.

If you need onew sending out tomorrow, PM me before mid-afternoon.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Toyota stock two filters - the short one and the long one. The turbo (and GT4) takes the long one, the NA takes the short one. You can literally walk up the the Toyota part dept and ask for that and they'll get the right part for you :thumleft:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks gents, I'm picking up a clutch master cylinder seal kit from Mr T tomorrow so I'll ask for the filter whilst I'm there.
Donato

Post by Donato »

And again, working in parts myself, every dealership should have your oil filter in stock. Probably one of the most common ones used. Get the sump plug washer as well, they don't come with the oil filter :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

glimitedmr2 wrote:And again, working in parts myself, every dealership should have your oil filter in stock. Probably one of the most common ones used. Get the sump plug washer as well, they don't come with the oil filter :thumleft:

My trick is to ask for the washer after they've processed the filter... often the parts person can't be bothered to charge you again for the couple of pence it's worth :oops:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Mine always come with a sump washer for no extra fee :D

Toyota have ratified their filters a bit now, so you can just ask for a 'J2' filter. Or you can use the full part number as provided by Peter, either way you'll end up with the same thing. As you can see and has been mentioned, it's used by quite a variety of engines, as supplied in the MK1 MR2, ST185, ST205, turbo SW20 and 190bhp MK7 Celica:

If you think you're going to be keeping the car for a long time, Toyota sell the filters in a box of 10 which gives you roughly 25% off.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Donato

Post by Donato »

shinny wrote:
My trick is to ask for the washer after they've processed the filter... often the parts person can't be bothered to charge you again for the couple of pence it's worth :oops:

I can admit to doing this. :-$

toxo wrote:
If you think you're going to be keeping the car for a long time, Toyota sell the filters in a box of 10 which gives you roughly 25% off.

Toyota are normally quite good when you buy in bulk for consumables. If you think your keeping the MR2 for a while you can buy a 60L drum of pink coolant. Most of the time at cost price because it looks good on their figures :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”