locking problem help

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alan_uk

locking problem help

Post by alan_uk »

hi

not sure what might be going on but i have original toyota key fobs on my mr2 they have always worked the remote locking fine

the other day i couldnt get the car to lock with the fob but when putting the key in the lock it worked fine but whilst trying to get it to lock with fob the alarm was setting off then when unlocking with fob it would dissarm

anyway i changed the battery for a brand new 1 and it seemed to work fine this was just before christmas and the car hasnt been used since hardly but when it has it was working as it should

anyway today went to the car unlocked with fob as normal worked fine drove car 10 mins then when got out it would not lock at all with fob or key just kept staying unlocked drivers door only when putting the key in passenger door it locked passenger door fine but the drivers would not work

then the alarm started going off again anyway i left it 15 mins and went back to the car it locked fine with key in drivers door locking everyuthing as it should ???

then when i was driving the car just decided to start locking itself whilst driving and when i pressed the unlock button on fob it would unlock then lock itself again this happend 5 or 6 times then stayed unlocked

when i got back home i locked with fob and seemed to work but i dont trust its going to stay locked now and am worried it will just open itself during the night

any ideas help suggestions anything really as toyota want £48 just to look at it

thank you
alan_uk

Re: locking problem help

Post by alan_uk »

anyone ? :(
Loque

Post by Loque »

Is the alarm a genuine toyota item (I didn't know they made Mk2s with remote central - although I shouldn't be surprised I suppose!) or an aftermarket part?
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

well the key fob has toyota on so im asuming its genuine and all 3 sets of keys has the same fob :)
rover19376

Post by rover19376 »

I believe the problem is not your alarm but the locking mechanism in the drivers door.

Remove the door trim and take a look at the door lock.

Mine was covered in xxxx and i think the wet was getting in and playing hell with the locking.

News paper or something on floor under the door, WD40 and a brush - i set about cleaning mine and working the locking for a little while.

Been 2 days now and locks and unlocks without any problem.

It may help- it may not , but something you can try. :)
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

thanks mate ill give it a go anything is better than nothing :) sounds familiar though as the inside of the car is always moist

this is the key fob anyway

rover19376

Post by rover19376 »

Yeah newer type of alarm as mine.

If there was an issue with the alarm, i doubt the car would even start.

:)
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

thats good to know then so no1 problem sounds like drivers door lock
rover19376

Post by rover19376 »

Like i say , it's something to try.

Mine also got seized locks, and key wouldn't work -so got to change my key barrels too.

Sounds like your key works in the doors , so I can't see anything wrong there.
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

yea the key does work in the doors but the drivers was sticking :(
rover19376

Post by rover19376 »

Well that could be part of the problem, and a good cleaning with a small brush and flooding with WD40 may well solve the problem.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”