MK2 Rev3 NA Lightened Flywheel?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Donato

MK2 Rev3 NA Lightened Flywheel?

Post by Donato »

New clutch time is fast approaching. Now i'll be going with an OEM clutch and replacing the clutch line with a braided one. Whilst the clutch is being replaced, would it be worth buying and having a lightened flywheel installed with it aswell? If they even make a massive difference?

From what i know, am i right in thinking that they don't increase horsepower but increase more power to the wheels that are normally otherwise lost? How much BHP would that be then?

What chioces would i have if so? I've only seen the Fidanza one on Fensport so far.

I love the N/A engine. But i wish i could squeeze that extra bit of power out of it. Should of had that Beams engine from factory!!
synXero

Re: MK2 Rev3 NA Lightened Flywheel?

Post by synXero »

Yes get a beams :D I loved the NA too until I got this one :p

Flywheels won't make any new power. They reduce the weight of the system but only by about 10lbs in all honesty. The advantage is with reduced transmission loss as you say, and with throttle response due to reduced inertia (Think rotational mass).

Haven't seen any hard figures myself but suspect given total power loss through transmission hovers around 10%, and you're not going to get all 10%, you can only assume it'll be one or two horse power.
cosmos

flywheel

Post by cosmos »

I have seen a chromology lightened flywheel also for mr2 not sure of any comparison to fidanza except the starter ring is part of the flywheel (cast/machined) so cannot slip, where fidanza the starter ring is separate and can slip/rotate?? does sound unlikely but have read about it.
Where can you source a braided clutch pipe?
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

i had a lightened balenced flywheel on my n.a. It was one i had done by an engineering company, it was made down to 5.5lbs and made no difference. I thought it may have improved throttle repsonse but shouldnt have bothered. I have a fidenza on my turbo but didnt fit it so cant tell you if that made any difference. The idea being that you are reducing the weight on the crank it allows it to rotate faster in lame terms, you should prob install a light weight crank pulley to counter ballence the flywheel. But a lot of people will tell you that it wears the engine out quicker as it is putting a lot of strain on the bottom end.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

glimitedmr2 wrote:New clutch time is fast approaching. Now i'll be going with an OEM clutch and replacing the clutch line with a braided one. Whilst the clutch is being replaced, would it be worth buying and having a lightened flywheel installed with it aswell? If they even make a massive difference?

From what i know, am i right in thinking that they don't increase horsepower but increase more power to the wheels that are normally otherwise lost? How much BHP would that be then?

What chioces would i have if so? I've only seen the Fidanza one on Fensport so far.

I love the N/A engine. But i wish i could squeeze that extra bit of power out of it. Should of had that Beams engine from factory!!

I would never fit a light weight flywheel or crank pulley to any engine unless the crankshaft has been designed for them.
It will put much greater loading on the crank and bearings
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
bobhatton

Re: flywheel

Post by bobhatton »

cosmos wrote:
Where can you source a braided clutch pipe?

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=125731
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
dan4

Post by dan4 »

I found on a few cars its made them feel much more responsive, id definitly fit one to the mr2 should it need a clutch
HurleyRacing

Post by HurleyRacing »

We sell lightweight billet steel flywheels for the 3sge engine. current cost is £285 plus delivery
-Race Car Preperation -Engine Rebuilds
www.hurleyraceengineering.co.uk
[email protected]
synXero

Post by synXero »

HurleyRacing wrote:We sell lightweight billet steel flywheels for the 3sge engine. current cost is £285 plus delivery

Can you comment on Bob's observation (bobservation?) above, re crank shafts?
HurleyRacing

Post by HurleyRacing »

I can....
although i don't usually get involved in forum debates/arguments.

A lightweight flywheel actually reduces the stresses on the crank and bearings as it reduces the twisting moment on the back of the crank.

As for the crank pulley, its not the fact that its lighter that means it is going to cause problems.....

Four and Eight cylinder engines create what is called a secondary vibration at certain operating ranges which can cause damage to the bottom end. In order to combat this manufacturers fit a harmonic dampener to take some of the shock of the vibration. If you buy an aftermarket lightweight crank pulley it wont have any dampening properties and the engine is at risk.

you will find racing engines will run a lightweight crank pulley but they are being rebuilt properly regularly and monitored. I wouldn't recommend fitting a lightweight crank pulley to a road car.
-Race Car Preperation -Engine Rebuilds
www.hurleyraceengineering.co.uk
[email protected]
dan4

Post by dan4 »

synXero wrote:
HurleyRacing wrote:We sell lightweight billet steel flywheels for the 3sge engine. current cost is £285 plus delivery

Can you comment on Bob's observation (bobservation?) above, re crank shafts?

Scaremongering, although maybe the crank will just fall out :-k The amount of lightweight pulleys and flywheels people run, im sure theres more failures of factory fit parts
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”