[All] [Generic] My tablet display

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Wingers

[All] [Generic] My tablet display

Post by Wingers »

Not the best photo, and this was before I panted the surround black but you get the idea...

I'm fairly happy with it but have a few tweaks that I might try to introduce as it doesn't have any connection to allow it to charge in situ at the moment.

Wingers
Racer7

Re: [All] [Generic] My tablet display

Post by Racer7 »

Awesome!

I was hoping someone was going to do this on an MR2.

I don't suppose you could talk through the process of getting it wired up?

I'm assuming this replaces any actual stereo? I really want to do this with a 7" tablet but just don't know how I'd go about it!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

awesome mate, i wanted to do exactly this but with a slightly smaller one, how did you mount it??
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Well so far there are no wires :oops:
I want to add connections to allow it to use the car speakers and to charge from the cigarette lighter but haven't done either of those yet.

I'm not really an ICE expert to be honest but like trying new things so gave this a shot. I'm planning to simply use the headphone socket and plumb that into an amp for sound. Other people might have better ideas on that front but if I'm honest I'm not that bothered about sound quality. I've not had a stereo fitted for the last couple of years so have got used to using a walkman. The tablet speakers obviously aren't the best sound but they're fine for listening to a bit of music, or sat nav instructions.

Check out different size tablets. I made paper cutouts to scale which helped when I was mocking it all up. In the end I went for an 8.8" Samsung Galaxy tab which fits in nicely in landscape orientation. I've also seen someone on here with a 10.1" fitted in portrait I think. His was also wired in so might be able to help you on that front...

Wingers
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

not too fussed about the wiring, just wondering how you've got it to stay in the centre console plastic :D
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

I wrapped the tab in clingfilm and then put a thin layer of fibreglass over it to get the right shape. Then I peeled off the FG and built that into the centre console. To hold the tab in place I'm using part of a cover that I had which clips onto the four corners. I screwed that to the fibreglass and then covered it in leather to protect the tab from being scratched by the screw heads.

This isn't exactly what I've used as it's for a smaller tablet, but it looks similar:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMART-LEATHER ... 43afc3c452

I'm not 100% happy with the finish as there are some gaps around the edge of the tablet so I might try to redo it, but it's secure and works for now.

Wingers

Return to “ICE and Security”