[Mk2] [Turbo] Boost increase? Power seems bit low

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jaffacake

[Mk2] [Turbo] Boost increase? Power seems bit low

Post by Jaffacake »

Finally got all the standard jobs done on the car now ie, new starter, brakes, poly bushes, radiator, front shock, ball joints and service done. Had the car put on the dyno for a power run and I thought it would have dropped a fair bit being 20 odd years old but it's only producing 190bhp at the wheels seems a bit low to me, it's had metal head gasket fitted and as far as I no the rest of the engine is standard, just bought a boost controller so was wondering what is a safe boost increase I can now run knowing the engine is mechanically sound. Boost increase is going to be a beginning mod before I start getting more upgraded parts. ( suggestions welcome ).
P.s car is rev1 jap import t-bar with what I think is rev2 turbo engine (not 100% on that tho) .
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Boost increase? Power seems bit low

Post by Charged »

15/16psi should be fine.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

Is 190 atw not about right for a stock rev1/2? Are they not supposed to be ~220 at the engine?
Jaffacake

Post by Jaffacake »

charged wrote:15/16psi should be fine.

Thanks for the advice will have a play and see how it gets on
Jaffacake

Post by Jaffacake »

asdrewq wrote:Is 190 atw not about right for a stock rev1/2? Are they not supposed to be ~220 at the engine?

Suppose it could be about right yeah just thought I'd would have been a bit more, o well best get tuning see what I can get it up too
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Sounds fine to me.

Remember, interweb horsepower are like pub horsepower - but although both smell, feel, and look like real world horsepower...

they are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bigger.
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Sounds fine to me.

Remember, interweb horsepower are like pub horsepower - but although both smell, feel, and look like real world horsepower...

they are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bigger.

What are you insinuating, my car well has 400whp???

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

:^o
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

I had 227hp at the flywheel and i think that was about 196hp at the wheels with a rev2 at 1 bar or 14 psi. if i remember i had stoped and got 97 octain and had forgot to get tesco 99. not sure if that would of made a big deal.
rs007

Post by rs007 »

blogsy wrote:I had 227hp at the flywheel and i think that was about 196hp at the wheels with a rev2 at 1 bar or 14 psi. if i remember i had stoped and got 97 octain and had forgot to get tesco 99. not sure if that would of made a big deal.

Only 7hp up on stock, give or take, on almost half again boost pressure? Sounds bit low to me?

No expert here, just saying that maths doesn't look right, so maybe the lower octane fuel was causing timing retardation :?:

Be interesting to hear the more experienced guys views :)
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

190rwhp is perfectly healthy for a stock 2nd gen 3sgte. Exhaust, downpipe and boost increase to 15psi should have you at around 225rwhp.

Return to “Modifications”