[Mk2] [Generic] Tire for the 15x7 Rev2+ rims

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

59sw20

[Mk2] [Generic] Tire for the 15x7 Rev2+ rims

Post by 59sw20 »

I had big trouble finding new tires to replace the winter tires that came with the car from Hokkiado! I totally understand the size 225/50R15 is not a common one. Even the tire distributors won't accept special orders. I could only find some Falken ZE912, which was 2009 stock. The front 195/55R15 are fresh stock. I haven't done any hard cornerings with them since installed a month ago.

I am planning to keep the outlook as original as possible, and changing rims is not my option unfortunately. Some suggested 205s for the rears with a spacer is also a good alternative.

I know the 225/50R15 size is still available in the US, since some SCCA fellows race on this size. How about elsewhere in the world? I have asked some Korean buddies in Seoul for the Hankooks, but it's also not available on the market. I think they only make this for the US/Canada market.
Marlowe

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Tire for the 15x7 Rev2+ rims

Post by Marlowe »

I am unsure if I am reading correctly - if so my usual supplier (Mytyres) have Toyo Proxes T1R in stock currently, which suggests other EU suppliers will. I'm afraid I don't really know any HK or Mainland China stockists I could recommend; sorry.
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hello again fella.
Keep to the original rear tyre if possible, a 205 is too narrow for the balance of the car. You want to stay stock or maybe put a 205 on the front to dial out a little understeer (205/225 is what I run and reckon myself it's the most balanced combo with that bit more front end bite) but not on the back. Stay away from spacers too if you can since they adversely effect wheel bearings.
If you can't get a good 225/50/15 I'd seriously consider getting a set of 16s.. or even a 15/16 combo f/r but I'm sure you'll find a regular supplier soon.

R.
59sw20

Post by 59sw20 »

Thanks for your advice guys!

There are! Yes! There are good 225/50R15s available somewhere in the world, ie: The Obama nation! There are T1R, R1R, RS-3, and more R-compound sticky rubbers. I was planning to ask my American friends to arrange shipping for me, but I found this pair of leftovers in stock here. I don't expect too much from my ZE912 now. I just want a safe & sturdy ride, and no "big surprise" from the happy tail
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Good news.
Try and get T1-Rs if you can. Very good all round tyre. They'll feel awful when you first put them on till you scrub the surface and put some heat cycles through them but inflate the rears 3-6 psi more than standard for the first 150/200 miles, gradually reducing back to about 33/34 psi to compensate.
I've been using them for about 6-7 yrs, half the time I've had my car and they certainly feel better to me than Yokohama AO22s. Much more confidence inspiring more of the time.

R.
Kinsy

Post by Kinsy »

ZE912's won't give you a surprise unless you're a prat with the rear end in cold, wet weather. Rest of the time they're pretty reasonable.

Return to “Mechanical”