boot lifter spring pressure.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jack-p

boot lifter spring pressure.

Post by jack-p »

Is the 3sfe spring that supports the boot when you open it a different pressure rating to one from a later car with a spoiler?

The reason I ask is because when I changed from a factory spoiler to aftermarket the aftermarket one was considerably lighter and the spring pushed the boot up.

I now have no spoiler on my car and no spring but would ideally like to have one because it's a right pain in the ar$e holding the boot open all the time!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: boot lifter spring pressure.

Post by Peter Gidden »

jack-p wrote:Is the 3sfe spring that supports the boot when you open it a different pressure rating to one from a later car with a spoiler?

Yes.
craig

Post by craig »

jack-p wrote:Is the 3sfe spring that supports the boot when you open it a different pressure rating to one from a later car with a spoiler?

The reason I ask is because when I changed from a factory spoiler to aftermarket the aftermarket one was considerably lighter and the spring pushed the boot up.

I now have no spoiler on my car and no spring but would ideally like to have one because it's a right pain in the ar$e holding the boot open all the time!

yes it has a lower pressure spring to compensate for the lack of weight of a spoiler on the 3SFE.

I've no spoiler on my car, and just removed the boot spring to avoid the boot lid flying open when the lever is pulled.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Yes.

:thumleft: Thought as much, better keep an eye out for a 3sfe breaking then.

RedMR² wrote:
I've no spoiler on my car, and just removed the boot spring to avoid the boot lid flying open when the lever is pulled.

I did the same but I'm getting a little sick of holding the boot open with my head so I can get both hands in!
craig

Post by craig »

jack-p wrote:

I did the same but I'm getting a little sick of holding the boot open with my head so I can get both hands in!

yeah that's what I do :lol:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Try TCB, I'm sure that's where I got mine from when I despoiled.

R

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”