[Mk2] [Generic] active speaker amp location

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

9000rpm

[Mk2] [Generic] active speaker amp location

Post by 9000rpm »

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade the head unit in my rev2 94 mr2. It's got active speakers and twin subs. I ordered what I thought was the correct lead pc9 411 before I knew there were two types for the active speaker set up. I fitted it today and I think its fried an amp as the radio, stock or new no longer work. They work fine on a power supply so its not them. I think its fried the main amp that gives power to the radio as all the fuses are fine. Where is the location of the main amp as I can only find the left and right sub amp. Should I have ordered the pc9 406 lead? Please help if you know as now I have no radio working at all!

If I fit a new amp and pc9 406 lead should it work ok again?
madbasshunter

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] active speaker amp location

Post by madbasshunter »

The pc9-411 has 15 pins and the pc9-406 is a slightly different shape and has 14 pins, so if the pc9-411 plugged in it is right.
Did you connect the remote wire up ? As if this isn't connected the amps wont switch on!
9000rpm

Post by 9000rpm »

cheers for the info. I ordered the other cable and that came yesterday before seeing your reply. I found that was completly wrong and would not connect as you say so the other lead must be right.

I then found out the aerial has to be connected to the radio for it to power up, does that sound right?? if I do that both the aftermarket radio and the standard one works again??

It sort of worked but I'm getting terrible buzzing through all the speakers when you connect any of the phono leads with the aftermarket radio installed.

I had to given up and revert back to the standard radio. I do have an old radio which has just pre outs so am going to wire that up tonight with a iso block to be able to test it and see if thats an issue too
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

It will only work with the aerial plugged in as you haven't bolted it in (I guess) so it has no earth and is earthing through the aerial, it is a good idea to take the earth wire to a good earthing point on the car as poor earthing will lead to buzzing etc.
9000rpm

Post by 9000rpm »

Cheers for the info. that makes sence. I tried the other radio last night and that was all fine and sounded really good.

I will try a custom earth mounting for the radio tonight to see if that fixes it.
v1xz

Post by v1xz »

9000rpm wrote:Cheers for the info. that makes sence. I tried the other radio last night and that was all fine and sounded really good.

I will try a custom earth mounting for the radio tonight to see if that fixes it.

Did your custom earth work?
i like MR2

Return to “ICE and Security”