[Mk2] [Generic] The speedhut look for a fraction of the cost

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shinny

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] The speedhut look for a fraction of the cost

Post by shinny »

sheppy wrote:yeah i have a pic but it from my phone but it looks crap :( they actually look great in the flesh :thumleft: :thumleft:

the boost gauge looks like you can't see it but it is in fact very visible, the clocks are really bright as well :thumleft:

That looks pretty decent for a camera phone shot. Glad you're happy with them.

I'd been wondering how the LEDs would light up the UK spec KMPH scale on the speedo - seems to work ok. I guess if they were in my car I'd have put some red tint behind them, so they fitted in with my theme - but I think I've got a little obsessive about those two colours now :oops:

sheppy wrote:EDIT: annoyingly, i HAD to cut the wee tubes behind the indicators down to get the boost gauge in, so the green shows up now, i might paint the green plastic or something, not sure yet.

As you can see, I have a custom AFR / volt gauge in the boost gauge location and I had to glue some internal barriers inside the clocks to stop light from the LED 501s from showing through the smoked face. You can probably achieve similar :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i trimmed it so the kph just stayed yellow :thumleft: i really want a blue boost gauge to match the clocks :( that on is meant to light up amber but i stuck some blue film behind it to dull ot down, it's completely visible, just not in the pic :( and isn't blue lol.
Last edited by Ryan S on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinny

Post by shinny »

sheppy wrote:i trimmed it so the kph just stayed yellow :thumleft: i really want a blue boost gauge to match the clocks :(

I've never seen a blue 45mm boot gauge :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shinny wrote:
sheppy wrote:i trimmed it so the kph just stayed yellow :thumleft: i really want a blue boost gauge to match the clocks :(

i seen one a few weeks ago, but can't for the life of me find it again, it was an omori one, r-spec do blue ones but only 52mm, i need a 45mm.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

http://www.j-spectuning.com/product_inf ... 5e41817c94

found it, looks like i'll have to shell out for it too :(

i'd also have to dismantle it for it to sit flush with the hole :(
shinny

Post by shinny »

Not cheap! How much is a colour worth to you? :wink:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shinny wrote:Not cheap! How much is a colour worth to you? :wink:

haha, i am pretty fussy, dunno if i'm 130 dollar fussy though, this is with the pod too, i'll see if they do it without :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

sheppy wrote:
shinny wrote:Not cheap! How much is a colour worth to you? :wink:

haha, i am pretty fussy, dunno if i'm 130 dollar fussy though, this is with the pod too, i'll see if they do it without :thumleft:

I know all about being a fussy git! :oops:
chrisrev2gt

Post by chrisrev2gt »

I've found out if for some reason some of the LED's don't work just turn them round. Well that's what worked for me.
shinny

Post by shinny »

chrisrev2gt wrote:I've found out if for some reason some of the LED's don't work just turn them round. Well that's what worked for me.

That's the very nature of LEDs... being light emitting diodes they have a polarity and only conduct (and thus work) on way round :wink:
chrisrev2gt

Post by chrisrev2gt »

Well it took me a few goes and swear words but glad I carried on
Spawn

Post by Spawn »

shinny wrote:

I have a 45mm Omori Boost Gauge that has a separate colour change control box for the led. So I can choose pretty much any colour. I cant tell you much more more as I didn't fit it but it may help if someone is looking, the gauges seem to pop up every now and then.

I would assume the control box is a separate add on.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Spawn wrote:I have a 45mm Omori Boost Gauge that has a separate colour change control box for the led. So I can choose pretty much any colour. I cant tell you much more more as I didn't fit it but it may help if someone is looking, the gauges seem to pop up every now and then.

The variable colour gauges were discontinued by Omori around 2-3 years ago. I can only get the later and current version, which is white backlit.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ah damn, i'm wanting to change to red now since my new boost controller has a red display :( wee colour changing one would have been perfect :(
Spawn

Post by Spawn »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Spawn wrote:I have a 45mm Omori Boost Gauge that has a separate colour change control box for the led. So I can choose pretty much any colour. I cant tell you much more more as I didn't fit it but it may help if someone is looking, the gauges seem to pop up every now and then.

The variable colour gauges were discontinued by Omori around 2-3 years ago. I can only get the later and current version, which is white backlit.

A fountain of knowledge :clap:
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Got my bulbs from HK, didn't order the gel because was deciding what colour - but just going for the blue, really modern look, but still "stock" in appearance :D

Unless, without the gel, could be nice? Ice white - or is it too bright? Did you try it without the gel?

Got a set of UK clocks to mod, then I'll drop them in and see what works/doesnt lol!
shinny

Post by shinny »

rs007 wrote:Got my bulbs from HK, didn't order the gel because was deciding what colour - but just going for the blue, really modern look, but still "stock" in appearance :D

Unless, without the gel, could be nice? Ice white - or is it too bright? Did you try it without the gel?

Got a set of UK clocks to mod, then I'll drop them in and see what works/doesnt lol!

No harm in trying it out. This is what 'hamster' on MR2OC achieved by only putting gel under parts of the dials: http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ocforum/download ... hp?id=5779 (you need to be logged in to mr2oc.co.uk to view it)
Nick Bryant

Post by Nick Bryant »

Just a quick question, are the t10's a direct replacement for the stock lights in the clocks, I dont have any clocks to hand so I have to ask \:D/
shinny

Post by shinny »

Nick Bryant wrote:Just a quick question, are the t10's a direct replacement for the stock lights in the clocks, I dont have any clocks to hand so I have to ask \:D/

The mkII clocks have 4 x 501/T10 bulbs for illumination, yes. There is a fifth 501/T10 for the low fuel level light and that should NOT be replaced with an LED...
DanT

Post by DanT »

looks brilliant and not overly complicated after reading through all of this.

its something im gonna try on mine..wether i get another set of clocks to do it on is another matter lol.

Return to “Modifications”