The search continues

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

James Junior

The search continues

Post by James Junior »

Viewed a REV3 turbo in Handforth Dean today - a nice blue colour with some tasteful mods.

Paintwork was a bit tatty up close though and when I sat in it and worked up and down the gearbox it was refusing 2nd and 3rd at times, so didn't bother taking it for a drive.

I have read about a few cars having gearbox troubles and my old REV4 turbo had issues with 2nd gear.

Presumably now the cars are getting a bit old these problems are becoming more common?

Oh well, the search continues...
MR2 Rich

Re: The search continues

Post by MR2 Rich »

My NA mk2 had 2nd and 3rd gear synchromesh issues aswell. Talking to my mate who's an ex Toyota mechanic he said the issues are more to do with rough gear changes and not changing the oil often enough.
No 2 :(
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

Or worn objects in the selector mechanism, which pretty much every car you go to view will have.

Are you saying it refused 2nd/3rd when sitting in the car stationary with the clutch up? A brand new gearbox would do that. If it changed ok when on the move I'd hazard it would be fine. If some gears were a bit stiff/had to be forced in, it's probably wear in the selector mechanism - bushes, bearings, square of death etc.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

It simply wouldn't allow you to select the gear sometimes, unless you double clutched it.

Interesting what you say about it potentially being linked to a new gearbox. The owner did say he had a receipt showing the car had been fitted with a replacement gearbox.

He did say it drove fine. I didn't test drive it as was immediately put off by this.
greeny

Post by greeny »

James Junior wrote:It simply wouldn't allow you to select the gear sometimes, unless you double clutched it.

Interesting what you say about it potentially being linked to a new gearbox. The owner did say he had a receipt showing the car had been fitted with a replacement gearbox.

He did say it drove fine. I didn't test drive it as was immediately put off by this.

Should of test drove it, most gearbox's wont select some gears when the engines not running..... #-o
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

greeny wrote:Should of test drove it, most gearbox's wont select some gears when the engines not running..... #-o

+1
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Interesting - never encountered that before. Every days a school day. :-k

Still, bodywork was a little more worn than I could have tolerated anyway...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”