Foreign Car Spares - Birmingham - Avoid like the plague

We all need a little help or parts for our cars from time to time. Let us know who has helped. Please read the sticky before posting.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hmltnangel

Foreign Car Spares - Birmingham - Avoid like the plague

Post by hmltnangel »

A few weeks ago I was after a new engine. I used 1stchoice.co.uk as a parts finder site and Foreign Car Spares popped up with an engine for £480 inc delivery.

My request was specifically for a Rev 3 Tubby, and listed as a 95 car to ensure they replied with the right price.

I pm'd them via 1stchoice with a few questions to make sure it was a Rev 3 engine and they confirmed it was (they specifically said it was a Rev 3 Turbo).

Happily I paid for the engine and awaited delivery which was apparently to be next day.

Two days later I called them as the engine had not arrived. I got someone called Ali who said that I had been quoted for the wrong engine and that I had to pay £200 more for a Rev 3 as teh guy the other day had sold me a Rev 2.

To say I refused would be putting it politely. After 3 days of disputes and getting 1stchoice involved who actually were quite helpful I was told the engine would be sent next day 'after it had been tested to make sure it was working' I was also told by Ali that 'sometimes engines get broken in transit'

The engine arrived as promised this time and I set about fitting it. I wondered just how they had tested it as the cylinders were almost totally full of water?!

Well anyway I fitted it because if it was a good runner I wouldve been happy and that wouldve been the end of it. Fast forward a few more days and I managed to get it started (eventually) and it sounded ok at first. thats where I started to get worried, after 10 minutes of idle there was still a sh*tload of blue/grey smoke - sometimes changing to white - pouring out the back. I gave it a little press on the pedal to bring the revs up to see if it cleared the smoke - which it didnt. Thats when it went totally wrong - soon as the revs went above 1500 a loud rattle noise took over with a distinct vibration from the rocker cover.

Conclusion - engine f*cked and cue phone call to FCS the next day.

This is where it went even further wrong. I was told they wouldnt accept it back without a video of the issue - happily provided. Then they tried to tell me they wouldnt give a refund - sorry guys but you will as its a legal requirement - Then I got some manager called Dave who asked for a video with the rocker cover off. I done this and keep getting some crap about he cant see the video on youtube I posted of it.

he then started telling me again that they wont refund even if I send it back.

the engine will be on a pallet back tomorrow/wednesday and the next part of the saga will start - I'll get my refund somehow but hope this story stops anyone else from suffering the same issues.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS BUNCH OF IDIOTS
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Foreign Car Spares - Birmingham - Avoid like the plague

Post by Peter Gidden »

Foreign Car Spares, IIRC aka Easy Jap Parts aka Midland Jap Parts.

I hope you paid by credit card.
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

Would they also be Jimmy's Jap Parts who I've had problems with in the past :(

Hope you get it sorted mate
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

Paid by Debit Card unfortunately which makes it a little harder but as soon as the engine arrives back with them and I get confirmation its been signed for - Visa will allow the chargeback on the debit card.

Engine is booked to leave tomorrow :)

Whatever they're called - dont even think about buying from them. If they even bother to look on here and argue I'll happily post the screenshots confirming the whole scenario along with videos etc.

Lucky Im not close enought to Birmingham to pay them a visit.
glimited

Post by glimited »

I hope it all gets sorted for you. I hate scumbag people like this. I just don't see why people can't just provide something fit for purpose in the first place and avoid all the hassle it creates.

Return to “Trader Feedback”