Sunroof drain holes

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

muckyman

Sunroof drain holes

Post by muckyman »

Hi all
I've got water dribbling into the car at the bottom half of the passenger A piller, and have read on here that it could be the sunroof drain thats blocked.
When the weather dries up a bit, I'll whip the sunroof off and have a look. But, how do you check/clear these? On previous cars, I would run a length of household electrical cable down the hole (as it was flexible).
Is it similar for the MR2?
ta
Michael
elbon50

Re: Sunroof drain holes

Post by elbon50 »

Thought your car was a Mk2 Michael :?

Have you got a Mk1 now or should you be posting this on t'other forum :)
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

elbon50 wrote:Thought your car was a Mk2 Michael :?

Have you got a Mk1 now or should you be posting this on t'other forum :)

its been years since I had the Mk2. Got a Mk1 now (just updated my garage) :?
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

LOL

Mine's a T-bar Michael

Someone with a sunroof model will be able to help
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

The drain tubes, do literally just drop water onto the base of the A pillar where it's meant to drain from there. So it doesn't sound like yours are blocked.

Same on my old MK1a and more recently on my AE86. Solution is to make the tubes longer and route it out of the bottom of the cill which will stop water gatthering there and rusting the A pillar out.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

Well, I taped around my sunroof last night and it pi$$ed down with rain for most of the evening. Interior of the car was bone dry this morning so it looks like its 100% that its the drain tube that needs attention.
Lauren, when you suggest that the tube should be extended - how is this done? (to be honest, I've not had a chance to whip the roof off and have a look)
Do I remove the roof, locate the drain hole and pull out the existing tube before feeding in a new longer length (simple plastic tubing like the window washer line?). If so, how do you keep the new tube in place at the top end? Do I just keep feeding it through the hole until it pops out down at the bottom somewhere?
Any info greatly appreciated. Pics also appreciated.
ta
Michael
MartG

Post by MartG »

If you look at the underside of the sill, you'll see a couple of plastic plugs with a hole in the middle with a cross of plastic in it - these are the drain holes. Check they aren't blocked.

When you replace the drain pipes ( which IIRC are about 10mm internal diameter and 12mm external ) it may be easiest to remove the drain plugs and feed the new longer pipe up from below :-k
Paul Cyclops

Post by Paul Cyclops »

MartG wrote:If you look at the underside of the sill, you'll see a couple of plastic plugs with a hole in the middle with a cross of plastic in it - these are the drain holes. Check they aren't blocked.

When you replace the drain pipes ( which IIRC are about 10mm internal diameter and 12mm external ) it may be easiest to remove the drain plugs and feed the new longer pipe up from below :-k

This is a job I must do soon and I'm intrigued. Whereabouts is/are the unions at the top and how easy is this to access?
MartG

Post by MartG »

If you open the sunroof you should be able to see the drain holes in the four corners of the metal surround. On the outer side of the surround they form short metal tubes, over which the plastic drain hose is secured with a spring clip. I'll try and get a pic of mine tomorrow and post it up.
MartG

Post by MartG »

Drain in rear corner of the sunroof ( plastic pipe is removed as my sunroof is plated over )

And the one in the front corner

Both have identical ones on the driver's side
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Very easy to connect new (extended) pipes with headlining out then Mart :thumleft:
Paul Cyclops

Post by Paul Cyclops »

MartG wrote:Drain in rear corner of the sunroof ( plastic pipe is removed as my sunroof is plated over )

And the one in the front corner

Both have identical ones on the driver's side

Thanks for posting pics!
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

Soooo, are we saying that you need to remove the headlining to replace these tubes?
If so, anyone got a step by step guide for replacing the tubes?
Ta
Michael
BarneyMk1

Sunroof leak (probably)?

Post by BarneyMk1 »

Going through this saga now! Puddles in the driver footwell. Carpets removed to dry out and water mopped up. No rust thankfully. Now sunroof is sheltered from the rain with plastic sheeting until this is sorted out.Tried to feed some cable through the drain holes to clear out but not sure where the drain channel finishes exactly and the cable was not long enough! Removed a plastic bung near the sill but that didn't seem to go anywhere but the sideskirt. This mk1 is currently rust free and i want to keep it that way, I'm also not enjoying mopping the car every time it rains!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Just extend the tube so it goes out through the drain holes in the bottom of the sill by the A pillar.

Just get some plastic tubing from Halfords etc. We had various vacuum tubing lying around and just used some that would fit over the existing tube. Was an easy job to do.
BarneyMk1

Post by BarneyMk1 »

Ok thanks. Just cant see where the tube exits at the sill. Water seems to be getting in near the accelerator pedal.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Lift the carpets and have a quick check of the inner arch. Mine used to get a bit wet down there too...

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

BarneyMk1 wrote:Ok thanks. Just cant see where the tube exits at the sill. Water seems to be getting in near the accelerator pedal.

The tube is in the inner panel above the sill. There is a hole in the sill, so it's a matter of putting some tube in there to extend it out the drain hole. Did the same on my AE86.
BarneyMk1

Post by BarneyMk1 »

Thanks. I lifted the carpet which is now drying in the shed. No rust thankfully. I will have a look at the sill at the weekend and replace the drain pipes. Used sealant at the start of 2 of the 4 drain holes for now as a temporary measure, which has kept the inside completely dry. Cheers for the advice

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”