Intermittent missfire & flickering lights help

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiger Tim

Intermittent missfire & flickering lights help

Post by Tiger Tim »

Hi All,

My MK1A has developed an intermittent misfire lately. I thought it was the plug leads or coil lead as I could see them sparking in the dark. I've replaced them with new leads but still having the issue. When idling it idles grand for a while & the stutters & resumes normal idle. On the road, when I accelerate hard it feels like there's someone behind with a rope holding me back, then it seems to clear but back if I floor the accelerator again. Any ideas?.
This may be unrelated. I noticed yesterday that with the ignition on or off, if I turn on the indicators the 12v needle dances & dash lights flicker. Battery is good & I've cleaned al the earth connections to the engine. I've disconnected both rear light clusters but it still flickers. Not sure if it was always this way but I've the test coming up when checking lights etc, I noticed thishappening.

Also, is there any way of brightening the rear lights ( just the red parking lights) they always seem a bit dull. Not sure when I replaced the bulbs last.

Thanks,

Tim
Last edited by Tiger Tim on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk_090

Re: Intermittent missfire & flickering lights help

Post by pk_090 »

Spark plugs. I had an intermittent misfire that sounded like this and turned out to be cured when i put new iridium plugs in.
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
mk1 dal

Post by mk1 dal »

hi , it could be a few things tbh , i would be looking at the throttle position sensor and testing that for faults , have you done a blink test to bring any fault codes up yet .
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

I'd check the dissy cap.

Voltage varying with indicators is normal on both my mk1s
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

Thanks for the replies.

Dizzy cap & rotor arm is fairly new Toyota part so hopefully not that. Bought some new plugs today so I will replace them tonight.

Does the throttle position sensor have anything to do with the largish plug mounted to the back of the TVIS (Don't have my CD version of the BGB at work). I thought when I unplugged that & reseated, the missing went away for a while but not certain. Anyway, will change the plugs this evening & see.

Many Thanks,

Tim
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

pk_090 wrote:Spark plugs. I had an intermittent misfire that sounded like this and turned out to be cured when i put new iridium plugs in.
Alex

Reckon you were correct Alex. I replaced the plugs & it's running perfectly since. Misfire gone. Sailed thru' the test this morning. Well, sailed close to the wind 'cos if the imbalance between two rear wheels on the handbrake is > 50% that's a fail. Mine was 50% imbalance so got thru', just :D . Braking effort on each rear wheel was identical. I knew it would be close. When I jack up the rear & apply the handbrake, I can't move wheel on passenger side with wheel brace & long bar but I can move the driver's side. Cables are free but I reckon the passenger side was replaced at some stage & the right must be slightly longer. Anyway, another year before I have to worry about that.

Tim

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”