[Mk2] [NA] Active System Wiring Help

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PeteL

[Mk2] [NA] Active System Wiring Help

Post by PeteL »

Hi Guys

Ever since I started getting the dreaded speaker whine from the passenger door speaker I have been meaning to check out the wiring, this week I did and found this (click link for picture)...

www.freeimagehosting.net/shrpr

The car has the active system and a Sony headunit. The whine started randomly (probably every 3 or 4th drive) but now its is every time I go out in the car. The whine only appears when the engine is running. Before this the headunit worked perfectly with sound from all the speakers (This suggests wiring is correct). I would also get some increased whine when accelerating (alternator?) but not every time.

I have done a few searches and read the various causes and appreciate there are lots of people with similar issues... but I'm looking for recommendations about what to do?

My first though is to sort/tidy/rewire the wiring....but I am an absolute beginner with wiring. Does anyone know any good auto electricians in southern Hampshire? Is this even the best place to start?

I am not after amazing sounds I just want it working properly, I have even considered going back to a standard headunit?

Cheers, any help greatly appreciated.
Canopus

SPEAKER WHINE

Post by Canopus »

Whilst of no help I am suffering exactly the same problem. It seems to be there even if I put the headunit on mute so would suggest its some kind of interfearance.

My car is also NA T-Bar (Jan 1992) and has the active speaker system. I replaced my headunit some months ago and all has been fine until recently.

It also rained inside my car last night as I had frost on the inside of the glass roof panels - most disconcerting!

Wher did you fain additiional information on this topic?

Good luck

Geoff
dan4

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Active System Wiring Help

Post by dan4 »

Im getting this with a kenwood headunit but only when the unit is off, i get a rev matched interference through speakers and a loud "pop" when i turn the unit on and off
PeteL

Post by PeteL »

I haven't made any progress with this. I am hoping to once the weather and light improves. Will keep this thread updated.
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Did you see this thread? Had success on 2 different cars with this solution:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/41/131722.html
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

To the OP, if it's only just started and is getting worse, it suggests there is a grounding fault developing in your car's wiring. That could be anything from some surface rust developing at a grounding point, to your alternator starting to die.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
PeteL

Post by PeteL »

I did see that thread, I think I need to read it again!

toxo - interestingly my alternator has become noisier recently...could it be on its way out? I'd have to check the history but I think it's only 2-3 years old.
Amebb

earth points ...

Post by Amebb »

I would start at the earth point.

Make sure your earth is good.

Otherwise you could have an issue with ur head unit. Sometimes the head unit output capacitor becomes dry .... Faulty.
'Honest, seriously, this wont hurt a bit ..... there you go........ 5h1t!!! he's dead!!........ Well, you should'nt have touched my Mr2 !!'
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

wow that harness has been botched, whatever the cause may be for the noise, I would advise sorting that mess out, an open circuit and taped connections wont be helping...
PeteL

Post by PeteL »

Just an update, I sorted out the wiring, making it alot neater. Also had a new alternator fitted and it seems to have fixed it.

Thanks All

Return to “ICE and Security”