Boost problem

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Spittinflames

Boost problem

Post by Spittinflames »

Hi, Just a quick question. Fitted a manual boost controller the other day, also disconnected the pipe that leads to the gizmo under the car and blocked both sides. Now if what i have done is correct why am i getting lower boost than normal with the controller closed and around 0.7 bar when opened??? any ideas. it's boosting less than it was without it fitted??

Cheers
Lee
Quigonjay

Re: Boost problem

Post by Quigonjay »

probably hitting fuel cut mate, you need an FCD :wink:
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

I thought it was alright up until a certain amount of boost without altering anything?? the thing is it's boosting less with the boost controller.... surely if it was hitting fuel cut then it would splutter or something? This dosent..... with the controller open my boost gauage reads less than without it.

Im rather confused... with out the controller im hitting just under 1 bar with the controller i hit much less
robsgts

Post by robsgts »

when you block that pipe of mate it puts the boost in safe mode ,you then have to re adjust your mbc to your desired boost level .

rob
tstockuk

Post by tstockuk »

Don't you have to disconnect the electrical wires on the tvsv as well??? 8-[
robsgts

Post by robsgts »

tvsv has nothing to do with the boost mate :D
EarL

Post by EarL »

...make sure the valve is the right way round! From what I can remember, the long side of the valve goes to the turbo, and the T side goes to the actuator. If it's the wrong way round, you won't get full boost. :wink:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
tstockuk

Post by tstockuk »

robsgts wrote:tvsv has nothing to do with the boost mate :D

"TVSV Turbo Vacuum Switching Valve
Disabling the TVSV will allow you to run a constant boost pressure, BUT without any other form of boost control the car will run at the lower pressure in ALL gears, so it is pointless disabling the TVSV if you do not plan on fitting a boost controller."

Blocking the pipe to the TVSV will cause the car to permanently run the lower pressure; unless a boost controller is fitted.

I am fairly new to all this, so forgive my ignorance but can you explain how the TVSV has nothing to do with it????
robsgts

Post by robsgts »

sorry mate i meant tvis :oops:
tstockuk

Post by tstockuk »

When i got my car (cheap i might add) it wasn’t boosting properly. With a little investigation I discovered that the electrical connector on the TVSV was disconnected.
I was well chuffed as the previous owner thought the turbo was shot!

Tim.

Return to “Modifications”