Dash warning lights after cambelt change

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Matty_GTS

Dash warning lights after cambelt change

Post by Matty_GTS »

I sucessfully completed a cambelt change on my rev 3 tubby and it is back up and running.

However... my intercooler fan no longer runs and the following lights are on the dash;

'Engine compartment cooling fan warning light' along with

'Cat high temperature warning light'

Now there are a bunch of cables that run right where i was working and got moved around a fair bit but all look ok. I don't even have a cat and didn't realise there was a sensor for this.

Obviously i have moved/broken something but just after some suggestions.

Thanks
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Dash warning lights after cambelt change

Post by Peter Gidden »

Those lights are normally associated with either an alternator fault, or a fault in a wire bewtwen rear fuse box and alternator 3 pin plug.

Firstly, did you disturb the wiring under the inlet manifold?
Matty_GTS

Post by Matty_GTS »

Thats interesting... i have an alternator issue. Or what i believe to be the alternator.

After starting up post belt change after half an hour of idling the battery was dead. When running only measuring 12V at the battery, not charging at all. Thats why i jumped to the assumption my alternator is dead.

Last time it was started up before the belt change i smelt a burning smell, possibly electrical. Guessing it was the alternator? The car has sat on the drive for 6 months with only the ocasionaly turn over...

I don't think i touched the wiring below the inlet but i did have my hand down there at one point undoing the bracket for the exhaust. Will have a check.

I know for sure the wiring that connects to the fan on the exhaust manifold side got a lot of disturbing trying to put the phoenix power i/c out as its a tight fit.

I couldn't see any blown fuses. Is there a fuse between the alternator and the battery i haven't spotted?

Thanks
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Before refitting the belt, did you check the alternstor pulley rotates? They can seize up during long periods of no use.

If yes, then get underneath with ignition on. Check for battery voltage at all 3 pins of the 3 pin plug in the back of the alternator.

If 12V at all 3 pins, alternator is goosed. If 12V missing from one of the pins, you have a wiring fault.
Kinsy

Post by Kinsy »

Did you remove any ground wires? Don't think there's one on the cam belt side of the engine, but a burning smell and no working alternator all of a sudden could be the car grounding through another cable - say the handbrake cable - burning it out!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”