[Mk2] [Turbo] Snap back oversteer

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bennyboi88

[Mk2] [Turbo] Snap back oversteer

Post by bennyboi88 »

How would I go about stopping snap back oversteer in my new car? Wrote my rev1 turbo a week ago due to poor grip at low acceleration. Caused me to flip on my roof at 25mph after sliding into a concrete barrier ](*,)
I don't want this to happen again, for some strange reason, so was wondering if simple tyre and suspension upgrades will help? Will get rev3 or better next as well
Al-sw20

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Snap back oversteer

Post by Al-sw20 »

Umm good quality tyres and don't lift mid corner after acceleration.

This must have happened in the wet.

I only ever had a problem with my first mr2 turbo which came with old and hard tyres. It would kick the tail out on light acceleration on bends in the wet.

Never once had a problem in the dry, even pushing hard.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

bennyboi88 wrote:I don't want this to happen again

No kidding!

I changed my Rev 2 (Different subframe to Rev 1 IIRC) to proper Toyo tyres instead of the crap that they came with, with new staggered wheels and coilovers all at the same time. It used to wobble a bit if I gave it a bit around corners, but now it's like driving on rails. :shock:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

ohh my friend saw that. Herts/beds aren't you?

Honestly mate, you just need a bit of tuition.

You'll find what you do is a natural reaction. You need to modify that natural reaction into the correct reaction! By the sounds of it you countered too much and or for too long.

I recommend to all my customers thaqt don't have much experience to go do a day at Driftlimits in hemel. It'll all fall into place.

:thumleft:

oh and hard luck fella #-o
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Yeah very true, no substitute for finding some open tarmac and having a blast, was always scared of the back end on mine but after some late night "practice" sessions on a few industrial estates you will find they are quite predictable and very capable once you know the drill.. Having said that im in a rev 3 and it does seem a lot better than my old rev 1. Also I recently changed to a much harder compound on the rear which does give less grip but makes it a lot more progressive when it does go. Had proper clouds of smoke coming off the rear last "practice" session I went on.. :twisted:

This is in the dry though... In the wet I just drive slowly.. :whistle:
bennyboi88

Post by bennyboi88 »

Thanks for the advice! Will look into that drift thing as soon as I can... Wasn't accelerating had was doing 25 in 3rd because it was wet coming off the roundabout but had been dry and dusty for several days and then rained on cold tyres. Was heading to halfords for coolant so had only been 5 mins (after spending 4 hours cleaning her not 20 mins before that :(
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Sounds like you just hit a spot of oil... Bad luck, happens to the best of us..
synXero

Post by synXero »

You rolled the car onto its roof at 25mph?
Draven

Post by Draven »

synXero wrote:You rolled the car onto its roof at 25mph?

Pretty sure that's impossible.
psummers

Post by psummers »

With a steep slope, sudden impact and momentum of the car's rear swinging about it might end up on its roof at that speed.

It’s pretty unlucky however. Most people would get away with just a bent alloy or suspension arm.

You just need to be able to react properly to it; a bit of tuition/practice is all you need. Rev 2+ car will help a bit but your reactions are the most important factor really.
Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

There seems to be a lot of rev1 bashing here!! :-$

I have had a Rev 3 and rev 1 now, whilst i admit the rev 1 is a bit more "twitchy" i do find it a lot more fun to drive and learn from. I have had some hairy moments but when you do catch it on a slide with the back trying to over take the front you can drive off like a BOSS :thumleft:
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

bennyboi88 wrote:had been dry and dusty for several days and then rained on cold tyres.

LOL someone thinks his driving a F1 car. Cold tyres :lol:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

alanmr2turbo wrote:
bennyboi88 wrote:had been dry and dusty for several days and then rained on cold tyres.

1. That was a bit condescending.
2. Tyre temperature, even on road cars will make a difference. If you get straight into the car and floor it from there, you WILL have (even slightly) less grip than if you've been for a short drive beforehand.

alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Tsia wrote:
alanmr2turbo wrote:

2. Tyre temperature, even on road cars will make a difference. If you get straight into the car and floor it from there, you WILL have (even slightly) less grip than if you've been for a short drive beforehand.

Even on a spirited drive you will be lucky to raise the temp of ordinary car tyres a couple of degrees even in the height of out none existant summer as there's to much stop starting. I beat he weaves across the road trying to get heat in them as well :lol:
bennyboi88

Post by bennyboi88 »

alanmr2turbo wrote:
Tsia wrote:
alanmr2turbo wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 950077.jpg

Even on a spirited drive you will be lucky to raise the temp of ordinary car tyres a couple of degrees even in the height of out none existant summer as there's to much stop starting. I beat he weaves across the road trying to get heat in them as well :lol:

remind me to come laugh in your face when you crash your car
bennyboi88

Post by bennyboi88 »

psummers wrote:With a steep slope, sudden impact and momentum of the car's rear swinging about it might end up on its roof at that speed.

It’s pretty unlucky however. Most people would get away with just a bent alloy or suspension arm.

You just need to be able to react properly to it; a bit of tuition/practice is all you need. Rev 2+ car will help a bit but your reactions are the most important factor really.

unfortunately I hit a concrete barrier approx 2 1/2ft high just behind the drivers side door
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

I have to say does seem like a low speed to flip with such a low center of gravity but it obviously can happen? Was it a t bar? what kinda shape was it in after? I presume not repairable but did it deform a lot? Been considering a roll cage as I do like to drive hard..
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

A.BLAKE wrote:I have to say does seem like a low speed to flip with such a low center of gravity but it obviously can happen? Was it a t bar? what kinda shape was it in after? I presume not repairable but did it deform a lot? Been considering a roll cage as I do like to drive hard..

I wouldn't bother unless you're turning it into a pure track only machine. You shouldn't ever reach flipping limits on the roads because of hard driving ;)

It also adds a bit of weight! :)
bennyboi88

Post by bennyboi88 »

A.BLAKE wrote:I have to say does seem like a low speed to flip with such a low center of gravity but it obviously can happen? Was it a t bar? what kinda shape was it in after? I presume not repairable but did it deform a lot? Been considering a roll cage as I do like to drive hard..

yea was tbar bud. not sure how to upload pics, can show you if I can figure it out[/img]

Return to “Modifications”