Nurburgring Laps

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

John145

Nurburgring Laps

Post by John145 »

Was in Germany this weekend and got 4 laps in, 3 of which recorded. Below are two of them, my quickest (9.34) is hopefully coming online tonight.

Anyway here they are:

Wet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcKrh21oYYg
Dry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiDNv-nSGO4&feature=plcp

The wet lap looks very slow (12.30ish) but there was absolutely no grip! Like driving on ice and the back end was a bit of a handful! Tedious lap, had to be very gentle and careful but worth the challenge.

The dry lap went really well, shame about that Aerial Atom holding me up!
glimited

Re: Nurburgring Laps

Post by glimited »

Not a bad lap that. Love the wipers coming on part way through.

Need to get myself to the 'burg!
John145

Post by John145 »

Was a good lap, just the Atom and yellow flag cost me about 30 seconds! Lap I'm uploading tonight is quicker and more fun to watch! Have to leave the volume on :)
John145

Post by John145 »

Also I did hit the wipers on at the exact same time on that lap as well lol. No idea why it only happened for that corner!
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

What's the spec of the car John.

Tyres, Brakes etc????
John145

Post by John145 »

Toyota brakes, braided brake lines dot 5.1 fluid...

Standard springs and bilstein uprated dampers...

Tyres are front 195/50/R15 Yokohama Parada Spec 2's and rears are 225/50/R15 Falken ZE 912s (genuinely impressed with these in the dry, very twitchy in the wet).

So basically standard!
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Not a bad lap at all that John. How did you brakes hold up. Mine got so hot, when i got home the rubber tyre valve failed.

I ran on Toyo TR1s and they were screaming on most corners.

Waiting to see the 9.35.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4KTGz4kI_0
John145

Post by John145 »

The plan is to get some bumpstops from work and polyurethane packers made up to tweak the U/S to O/S balance. Also like to get some better wheel control by getting it polybushed.

Maybe next year get some AD08's fitted and camber bolts, then look into changing the suspension hardpoints to get some kinematic camber gain. Should be fun, hopefully finish in time for next year's ring trip!
John145

Post by John145 »

At work at the moment, will upload it tonight depending on Norfolk internet!
John145

Post by John145 »

Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Well, you put me and my vid to shame. Nice driving. :)

Out of interest where's the camera? Roof or central cubby hole? Did you have any issues with the marshals? Is it a Gopro or similar?
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

John145 wrote:Atlast! Only took 5 hours!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2bhsQTJ ... e=youtu.be

Very nice!!!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
John145

Post by John145 »

Camera is a GoPro 2, the motorsport version comes with a suction cup.

The camera was stuck on the rear screen with the suction cup and it comes out quite far, maybe 6 or 7 inches.

Marshalls did have a moan after one lap hence I stuck it on after I went through the barrier and took it off at the end of the lap.

Glad you guys enjoyed it, the car really needs more power. I think it heat soaks into the inlet a lot, feels very slow towards the end. Hoping to get an engine from work which would be good although not likely to happen for about 6 months.

If I had the 3SGTe engine the car could comfortably do under 9 mins but don't like the idea of all that power coming suddenly!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

John145 wrote:don't like the idea of all that power coming suddenly!

have you considered a beams or v6 swap then?
nice driving btw :thumleft:
how many laps do you reckon you have done before this trip, some nice lines?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Nice vid. Very smooth. Your car seems to understeer quite a lot though. Thought it was most likely due to you carrying too much speed in and perhaps not adjusting the balance of the car to bring the rear end in to play.

Or maybe the Geo setups a bit on the safe side?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
John145

Post by John145 »

Thanks, was my 9th lap in total. Spent a lot of time playing it on Forza though!

Lauren, you're right about the camber. Also I was trying to carry as much speed as possible, in it's current setup it's easy to scrub the speed off with understeer making it quite an easy car to drive on the limit.

If you study the image below you can see both the front and rear driver's side wheels have gained no camber even though the suspension is in full compression.

Ideally as the suspension is compressed the wheel would gain camber, however as the kinematics of the car do not apparently do this. It looks like I will have to dial in additional static camber. Although I would like to adjust the suspension hardpoints slightly to try and get a bit of neg camber gain through kinematics...

Also if you look at the inside of the front driver's side tyre contact patch, you can see it lifting on that near side, not good!

John145

Post by John145 »

On the topic of engine swap, would probably only consider a beams, quite expensive though. As I said before hoping to get one from work which would be a 2 litre supercharged engine... Although this isn't likely for atleast 6 months!
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

I was in a turbo when I did it, which makes watching yours worse. :P I really need to build up experience in driving mine (still learning the dramatic shift in driving style from a FWD MK5 GTI where the power is early and the servo-braking makes it sharper).

Interested to hear about the Marshal issue - we had issues too which is why we ended up hand held. Might save up and try to source a go pro at some point though, as your footage was impressive for the quality as much as for the good driving. :)
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

John145 wrote:On the topic of engine swap, would probably only consider a beams, quite expensive though. As I said before hoping to get one from work which would be a 2 litre supercharged engine... Although this isn't likely for atleast 6 months!

There was a guy in Duderstadt that fitted a supercharger running low boost 0.4 bar (IIRC) that made 250bhp. No intercooler just driven straight through the SC and into the inlet. Malcolm had a ride in it, he reckoned it went very well.

Cost ought to be fairly minimal in comparison to the other options and really 50bhp more throughout the range with a nice flat torque curve would make a huge difference. If you're coming to JAE, make sure you come and have a chat, reckon I can put you in touch with the guy with the '3SGZE' if you're interested. :)

Fair play about using understeer to scrub off some of the excess speed, you probably don't want to be hanging the back out everywhere. I think as the pics show, camber tends to lessen under compression. Could be bushings etc, but for a near standard car it looks pretty composed on track. Think your driving was nice and smooth too.

The Ring does have a habit of making cars feel slow, just because it's such a fast track. I love the second half, from the Karussel through Wipperman and to Brunchen. I love the Ring and hope to get there again one day with some new wheels I have planned.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

IMOC trip anybody? :wink:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”