Who's removed there abs?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bolton

Who's removed there abs?

Post by bolton »

Hi all im soon to be removing my abs! Whos done it? Any hint or tips? Advice?
Lol!
Cheers
raptor95GTS

Re: Who's removed there abs?

Post by raptor95GTS »

learn how to brake properly? :wink:
bolton

Post by bolton »

What without abs? Lol!
If i go over a bump while braking it triggers! Its rubbish!
megamonkeyman

Post by megamonkeyman »

bolton wrote:What without abs? Lol!
If i go over a bump while braking it triggers! Its rubbish!

I get this!

To be honest I never thought it might be the abs. I'm going to disconnect it next time I go for a drive jut to confirm whether it is the ABS or not.
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

id be interested to know this. So far everything i've read says disconnect a sensor!
bolton

Post by bolton »

Yeah the rev1 and 2 abs is very sensitive to rolling radius i.e wheel size and suspension stiffness!
I have all the parts to convert to rev3 non abs and remove abs completly!
killerferret666

bolton wrote:Yeah the rev1 and 2 abs is very sensitive to rolling radius i.e wheel size and suspension stiffness!
I have all the parts to convert to rev3 non abs and remove abs completly!

Wouldnt have a clue yet, im just pulling it apart :D never drove the car lol

But by the sounds of it out it comes!
bolton

Post by bolton »

Yeah rip it out!!!
psummers

Post by psummers »

Personally, I don't get why you would want to. My old n/a has ABS and it was very sensitive and a little confused by wet manhole covers and bumps, but it worked.

My turbo doesn't have ABS and I have had a couple of hairy lockups when emergency braking, especially when just 1 front wheel locked up and the car tried to send me through a hedge. It was noticeably absent last winter; even stopping at a junction going 5-10mph in icy conditions could be tricky.

The braking feel is better without ABS but that time when you need it most, it won't be there and you will very much regret removing it.

Isn't it also now an MOT fail?
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

if you remove and even if you remove the bulb from behind the dash its an MOT fail (i think as of April next year)

They will now check the warnings bulbs light up.......then go out. Not just about them being on anymore
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

RikH77 wrote:if you remove and even if you remove the bulb from behind the dash its an MOT fail (i think as of April next year)

They will now check the warnings bulbs light up.......then go out. Not just about them being on anymore

How are they going to check that your warning bulbs light up??
I can't foresee them ripping the dash apart to test each bulb...

If you rip the entire abs system out of the car I don't see what the issue would be - these cars are 22 years old. The mot tester won't know if it came with abs or not :-k

Personally if I had abs I would have kept it...

However I bought a rev1 so that I didn't have abs, traction control, or power steering and the car was lighter :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
psummers

Post by psummers »

If it's a UK car it will say on the MOT database whether it was originally fitted with ABS or not. If it's an import then they won't have that information.

It doesn't matter if you remove all traces of the ABS, if the car was originally sold in the UK with ABS then to pass the new MOT it has to still be there and working. Same applies to airbags, stability control systems, seatbelts and such things.

Bit of a problem for people with stripped out track cars.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

psummers wrote:If it's a UK car it will say on the MOT database whether it was originally fitted with ABS or not. If it's an import then they won't have that information.

It doesn't matter if you remove all traces of the ABS, if the car was originally sold in the UK with ABS then to pass the new MOT it has to still be there and working. Same applies to airbags, stability control systems, seatbelts and such things.

Bit of a problem for people with stripped out track cars.

Playing devils advocate here :twisted: Lol

The vosa database was set up in January 1992

So if your pre 1992 or a Jap import your fine ... If your in a uk car after 1992 then hard luck :thumleft:

I don't doubt what you've said, but it seems a little harsh that if you want to track a car you need to keep the car features standards :cyclops:

How does this work with kit cars then?

psummers

Post by psummers »

Oh right didn't know that. I don't really understand all the new MOT rules as I only have a passing interest in it. I believe kit cars have to pass an individual vehicle assessment? Maybe it's information gets added to the VOSA database then :-k

This is a good article covering the main changes:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=25433
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

KarlBristol wrote:
RikH77 wrote:if you remove and even if you remove the bulb from behind the dash its an MOT fail (i think as of April next year)

How are they going to check that your warning bulbs light up??
I can't foresee them ripping the dash apart to test each bulb...

you can see what warnings are on clocks without turning the ignition on karl - if it doesnt light up when ignition is turned then go out when its running they will presume somethings wrong with it - thats what ive been told anyway.

Things like removing ABS certainly does mean its going to be alot harder for people with track cars - they'll just have to be trailored to events now i guess.

In terms of pre92 for VOSA database they will still be able to find manufacturers information for UKDM cars from whatever year they want to compile the information on the older vehicles
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

But taken from the website link above

Under the new rules, any illuminated malfunction indicator lights for electronic power steering, air bags, seat belt pre-tensioners and the like could mean a failed test.

Therefore if it doesn't light up its not an issue :-k
It doesn't say on there that they will be testing the warning lights...

KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Out of interest, it also states;

Doors
It must be possible to open a vehicle's rear doors from the outside using the relevant control

Does that mean that those people who have smoothed over their handles and locks for entry only via a key fob will now fail their mot :D

I'm liking these mot rules more and more, lol

psummers

Post by psummers »

But they would be testing that the warning lights come on when the ignition is turned on and then go out again signifying that the system is ok.

For example, if a car is on the database as having ABS then the ABS warning light should illuminate when the ignition is switched on. If it doesn't then the bulb is missing/broken or the system is faulty so you would fail.

Saying that I took the airbag bulb out of my sisters car last month as it had a fault and she got through the MOT fine. They are probably getting wise to that trick though.
bolton

Post by bolton »

If i remove the abs they will never know i had it, lol! No pump, ecu, or bulb!

I rekon on a standard rev1/2 abs would be fine but now my car has so many suspension upgrades it will be coming on all the time! Cars only a weekend toy and never gets used in rain or snow!
killerferret666

You can simply get round it by wiring a relay in-between the bulb for the abs, when the ignition is turned on light comes on, after a certain time period relay switches and light goes off. To the mot tester it looks fine.

Common relays used are the interior light delay relays on some vehicles

You can't do this on new cars because of LCD displays saying 'abs fault'

:D

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”