Fitting a radio what do I need (pics of what I've got)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2 Rich

Fitting a radio what do I need (pics of what I've got)

Post by MR2 Rich »

I haven't got a radio in my car atm so I'm going to buy this radio;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165474

I have just got a space where the radio goes and a half height storage bin. So I'm wondering what I need to physically fit the radio in? Will the radio come with any fixing kit or am I missing something from where the radio goes?

Here is a picture of what I have atm;

A picture with the storage section in place;

The other side of fitting is the wiring and when I have had a look I have 4 speaker cables that are currently connected to 2into1 connectors (for left and right sides of the speaker system)

The next bit is about the white connector its got all the wires going to the back of it but the green, white,brown, red and blue wires have been cut which doesn't look right to me? Looking at it just now it looks like blue and red are connected together (badly) and white and green are connected together (badly) and brown looks like its connected to the other brown?

Picture of the white connector;

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Rich
No 2 :(
JeffD

Re: Fitting a radio what do I need (pics of what I've got)

Post by JeffD »

See those 2 brackets? You need to remove the dash surround so they can be unscrewed and removed then screweed to the stereo and 1/2 bin first then screw back in

Excuse the taste in music! but this is it screwed back in

JeffD

Post by JeffD »

You usually get some kind of adapeters with a stereo so see what you get first. Also, there is a link on your link "will this fit my car" so have a look in there although I would buy adapters elsewhere as they will be much cheaper than Halfords - useful to see what you need though
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Thanks for the replies. Jeff I have used the link and it says I need an adaptor. I'm holding off buying it because with the car being 20 years old and probably had a few radios over the years, the halfords adaptor suggestion may not be the right one.

Taking that much of the interior out looks awkward is it easier than it looks?
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Its ages since I did it so might get this a bit wrong but basicly unscrew gearknob, and unclip leather surround and remove the gear surround plastic so the bottom of the fascia can come out - see the lip at the bottom here

I'm just trying to find some other pics for you!!
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Thanks for the help Jeff. The only thing worrying me now is why are the green, white,brown, red and blue wires cut and badly connected to each other?
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

most probably done by some keen young lad lol

Think your next step is to buy your stereo and see what connectors you get.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I bet you're right #-o Just ordered it now so will see what it comes with :thumleft:
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

That looks well hacked up Rich, can you take a picture showing where the two Rca leads (1st and 3rd pics) are wired into ?
If you connect all the wires back to the white plug I can send you a new 14pin active adaptor (£15 delivered) that will enable you to plug your stereo in.
This link will help you http://www.fitaudio.com/?View=entry&EntryID=77
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I will take another better picture tomorrow and go through all the wires and report back where they all go :thumleft:
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Sorry for the hijack, but is there any way of wiring in an aftermarket stereo so that the aerial only extends for FM? I'm fairly sure when I first picked up my car this is what happened, but after sorting out the (again terribly wired up) wiring, mine now seemed wired in to the power signal for the stereo.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Depends on the head unit.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Clarion DXZ7588RUSB - to clarify before the wiring had been pretty badly mangled with copper wiring just clipped and spliced onto other wires to power some naff ebay dials that were fitted. I just tidied up, soldered and heatshrunk the cables back onto the original wiring and removed the naff dials.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

So I picked up the radio today and had a good look at the wiring. I have drawn a diagram of where all the wires go in the wiring harness/existing 14 pin connector;

If I just unwire the 5 wires that currently go into these;

And then wire them back into the original white connector and get an adaptor to go from the white connector to the cd players 18 pin connector that should work?

This is the back of the radio; I'm guessing by using the 18 pin connections on the back the white and red (left and right speaker) connections don't have to be used?

madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Yes if you reconnect all the wires into your 14 pin white plug it will then plug into a 14 pin active ISO adaptor (I can send you a new one for £15 delivered) which will then plug into the iso plug on the end of the sony harness. Have you got the 16 pin ISO lead to go into the back of your sony stereo?
You will still need the RCA out (red and white plugs) on your stereo and the two black two into one adaptors on the ends of the leads you are going to remove.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I'm confused now. The 2 into 1 connectors are only wired into the 5 wires that I'm going to remove so I don't understand what to do with them?

This is the only connector I got with the stereo;

madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Thats the right lead for the sony which the Active adaptor like this will plug onto
where the two black boxes are your two into one adaptors will go to allow the 4 RCA plugs to plug into the 2 RCA's on the back of your stereo. If you want the lead drop me a pm
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

PM'd you bass hunter :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

So I have soldered all the wires back up to each other and have connected the adaptor and nothing happens. I have checked all the fuses in the drivers footwell and they are all fine. The cigarette lighter works so them being on the same circuit it should be getting power?

I have the adaptor Sony sent me and there is a connector that has nowhere to go this one;

MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I have looking at it all again and have a few things to add.

I have power to the yellow wire on the back of the radio with or without the ignition on.

The red wire is live when the ignition is off but then with the ignition on no power to it.

I started again with the wiring so disconnected everything then connected the earth lead, antenna lead, speaker cables then the 16 pin connector and the radio made a noise.

I have connected the blue amp rep wires together but there is nowhere for a wire that comes out of the adaptor which is labelled beep (brown wire) or tel mute (blue wire)

At no point has the radio turned on or had any lights on the front. Could it be that the radio is at fault?

Thanks for any help

Rich

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”