Reducing cockpit exhaust drone

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Moo

Reducing cockpit exhaust drone

Post by Moo »

One thing that has always bugged me about my car is the drone from my Mongoose exhaust. I don't mind the noise on full chat but the drone it makes while cruising at motorway speeds is annoying to say the least. Have been looking at why you can hear so much of the exhaust note inside the car and ways to damp down the drone.

I never knew it until I started the wire tuck mod on my car but in each corner of the boot there's an open path from the boot space running between the inner rear wheel arch and engine bay that leads directly to the area behind the trim panel where the rear speakers are mounted. There are no bulkheads along this path to absord the sound, just a little bit of foam behind the rear trim panel and a thin bit of factory sound deadening material on the back of the trim panel. Given where the exhaust tips are located, inches below the boot skin, I think the boot is amplifying the exhaust note and that sound is travelling down the recess directly to the cabin. The minimal sound deadening in this area is doing little to damp down the exhaust note and after researching sound deadening foam I've concluded the stock soft foam is the wrong type for sound absorbtion or deadening.

I got some high density foam, which apparantly has better sound blocking properties than soft foam, and crammed as much as possible in the area behind the rear trim panels. My car is still a few weeks away from being back on the road but fingers crossed these measures will go some way to reducing the exhaust drone if not eliminating it completely. Will let you know if it has helped once I'm back on the road but if anybody wants to give this a go in the meantime I'd be very interested in hearing the results.

This is the stuff I used.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... true&rt=nc

I bought 2 blocks but only needed just over half a block to do both sides. If anybody else wants to give this a try you can have the spare for the price of the postage. There should be more than enough to do both sides.

You can see in this picture where the foam was installed.

jasongtr

Re: Reducing cockpit exhaust drone

Post by jasongtr »

blimey thats alot of dynamat - you car must 40kgs heavier now
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

Holy crap I've not seen that before. Be interested to see if it works. I found the sound proofing pretty good in these cars. I agree with Jason though is it not heavy stuff?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

its quite heavy - ive used it before but then thats the whole point to stop panel drone - really good stuff though
craig

Post by craig »

Man, that's a lot of dynamat!!

Hope it works for you mate.
Moo

Post by Moo »

I used the Dynamat Xtreme bulk kit which is 36 sqft and weighs 2.2kg per square metre. If my math is correct that's 3.3 square metres which works out at 7.26kg for the whole lot and we didn't use all of it so probably added less than 7kg in all. I can live with the extra weight if it makes cruising speeds more bearable. Plus Chip Foose always uses Dynamat on his builds so it must be good :wink: :lol:

I agree that the stock soundproofing is pretty good in these cars except in this one area where it's really inadequate given the direct path from boot space to cabin. Guess Toyota weren't thinking about aftermarket exhausts but they must have known there'd be some noise getting through from the boot space hence the foam behind the rear trim panel and a layer of sound deadening material on the back of the trim panel itself.

Guess we'll see if it has made any difference in a few weeks time.
Last edited by Moo on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

if it only weighs 7kg thats a pretty good mod to reduce noise
Moo

Post by Moo »

Pretty sure I worked out the weight correctly but as you say, a good noise reduction mod for not a lot of extra weight. Should improve the quality of my sound system too :)

http://dynamat.com/download/specs/2204_ ... Xtreme.pdf

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynamat-Xtrem ... 3a68a61041

http://www.asknumbers.com/square-feet-t ... meter.aspx
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

I like the idea of the dynamat for sound proofing.

Just a note of caution regarding foam in those cavities. The original toyota installed triangular shaped foam tends to sink to the bottom of the cavity and presumably by way of absorbing condensation, and not drying out properly, cause rust to start in the inner sill. Now seen this on several MK2's including my new 2000 REV5! Worth checking.
Moo

Post by Moo »

Interesting. The foam I used is water proof so shouldn't run into any condensation absorbtion issues but probably worth checking every so often just to make sure there's no rust forming in that area. Cheers for the heads up :thumleft:
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Did the foam give a good result, I've just bought some of this http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulation ... m-11127510

Hopefully this will work for me, I'll be doing it this weekend so fingers crossed
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

Did this work as I have the same problem?
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Well i spent this afternoon filling the cavities the roof lining cubby boxes and it`s made a small difference but nothing massive.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

looks good glad your project is still going on :)
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I'll take the remaining foam for postage cost if you don't want it mate, also any Dynamat if you wanna sell me any leftover you had? :thumleft:
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

I I sorted the drone of my mongoose by selling it and fitting an exhaust that doesn't drone, like the hks superdragger or silent hi power
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

Bloody heck, with all that sound deadening, add a drinks cabinet for the passenger and it'll be as peaceful as a Maybach!
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

I know this is old but did anyone else try filling the area from the boot to the cabin?

Reason i ask is my exhaust drones on motorway runs but last long journey we did the boot was full including a duvet and the exhaust drone was gone. Unfortunately my phone battery had died as i would have like to have recorded the DB in the cabin to compare.

Would be interesting to try something like this in the floor of the boot. Not a cheap experiment though.

http://www.deadening.co.uk/products/dod ... topper-mlv
rgb

Post by rgb »

you can get yourself a japspeed now.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”