[Mk2] [Turbo] hybrid ct26

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

A.BLAKE

[Mk2] [Turbo] hybrid ct26

Post by A.BLAKE »

Whats the general opinion on the hybrid ct26s compared to a 20b which i currently have or a garret gt28rs. im going to be forging the bottom end so will definitely want something a bit more serious, around 350-400, been looking at the future motorsport and fensport hybrids as they say 1.5 bar max 400bhp? Is this realistic? Also can they be converted to run external waste gate??

http://www.futuremotorsports.com/STAGE- ... 3SGTE.html
Al-sw20

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] hybrid ct26

Post by Al-sw20 »

Buy a real turbo. Not a CT series turbo.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Garrett GT2871R or BorgWarner EFR 6258 if you feel like bucking the garrett trend :thumleft:
Last edited by Marf on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Hybrid turbos are basically standard turbo housings that have been machined to accept a larger turbine/compressor wheels and use the standard internal wastegate.

I come from a long background in Supras, where there have been many examples of hybrid Supra turbos suffering with premature oil seal/bearing wear. If you do go this route make sure to get a good warranty on the turbo so you're covered if there are any problems.

As said if you're wanting more power I'd go with a good quality branded off the shelf turbo.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

If you're aiming for 400bhp you'll need something bigger than a Disco Potato. You'd be looking at a GT3071, GT3076, or one of the other offerings out there.

A CT20B will see you to 300 ish but not much more than that, if you want it to last more than a few thousand miles. :wink: My old 20B was a good little turbo, however the GT3076R is a very different animal indeed!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Magic Beans wrote:If you're aiming for 400bhp you'll need something bigger than a Disco Potato.

Whay he says.
craig

Post by craig »

GT3071/3076 is what you need.

big power does not have a CT series turbo as part of the equation.
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Yeah fensport "say" it will produce 400bhp but i have never actually seen a dyno chat of a hydrid producing that. Having said that i had a fensport stage 1 for my first rev1 and went like stink..
Think i will be looking for a TD06 20g or the GT2871r.. Was out in a TD06 the other day though, low boost only about 1 bar as the bottom end is stock and it did feel rapid! Much more pull than my 20b at 1.2 bar, but it did feel very laggy.. Thats basically what is putting me off of the gt30 option.
Is there a way to eliminate or reduce the lag of any given turbo with correct mapping.. What is "anti-lag" I have heard this term used but dont fully understand?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Anyone have a Garrett GTX28R fitted yet?

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/r ... 101-1.html
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

A.BLAKE wrote:Yeah fensport "say" it will produce 400bhp but i have never actually seen a dyno chat of a hydrid producing that. Having said that i had a fensport stage 1 for my first rev1 and went like stink..
Think i will be looking for a TD06 20g or the GT2871r.. Was out in a TD06 the other day though, low boost only about 1 bar as the bottom end is stock and it did feel rapid! Much more pull than my 20b at 1.2 bar, but it did feel very laggy.. Thats basically what is putting me off of the gt30 option.
Is there a way to eliminate or reduce the lag of any given turbo with correct mapping.. What is "anti-lag" I have heard this term used but dont fully understand?

I don't find my GT3076R much more laggy than the 20B it replaced, certainly in lower gears. To be honest, when it comes in you're going through gears so quickly you don't pay attention! :lol: In 5th it takes longer to spool if you're just cruising along at 70mph for example. But the same could be said of most turbos.

You also have the benefit of having a little head room when it comes to tuning. As you really don't to run a turbo right at the edge of it's performance window, just to achieve 400bhp. It's something people far for experienced than I told me and it makes complete sense :)

If you're going to JAE I'll take you out in my Mule if you want? So you can get an idea of the differences in terms of lag and power. There's no substitute for experiencing something before making a decision. :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I had a hybrid CT26 and have also been out in a TD06 car. the TD06 spooled up the same as the hybrid but the TD06 had more power up top. #

Tbf the TD06 is a pretty old tech turbo now tho, well so are the CT series.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Race Idiot wrote: the TD06 is a pretty old tech turbo now tho.

I agree. But they seem to be around £900 s/h for a full kit, which if in good condition, is a lot of proven, bolt on performance for the money.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Race Idiot wrote: the TD06 is a pretty old tech turbo now tho.

I agree. But they seem to be around £900 s/h for a full kit, which if in good condition, is a lot of proven, bolt on performance for the money.

Yeah I certainly wouldnt turn one down, as I didnt mind my old hybrid. TD06s always seem to come up when im broke or someone snaps them up real quick like.
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Unfortunately wont be at JAE, the 2s in at p,works for the rebuild so doubt it will be seeing the road before next year.
Where can one purchase a TDO6 kit for £900 are we talking ebay second hand?

Been looking on ATS and if i buy from there will probably be a gt3071r or 76r as its not that much more than the tdo6 kit.. But will be keeping an eye out on ebay...

Return to “Modifications”