Ticking noise while accelerating

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2stu

Ticking noise while accelerating

Post by Mr2stu »

I've heard this ticking noise while accelerating for a while now and it's really doing my head in! It's seems to either go or I can't hear it after 4k...
I thought it was the exhaust at first as it was blowing as one off the manifold to exhaust studs had snapped! I got the stud changed which has made it better but I can still hear the ticking!
When changing the stud I realised the flexipipe wasn't in the best of nick and looks as if that could be blowing aswell maybe? Is there anyway I can stop it as a quick fix until I can afford to get the flexi changed??
I also think it may be abit off pinking aswell..
I use shells 95 Ron petrol, would changing to the 99 Ron (v-power) help it or would I be better advancing the timing slightly??
pk_090

Re: Ticking noise while accelerating

Post by pk_090 »

Hi Stu. I run mine on either v-power to tesco momentum as it seems to cough and splutter when on normal 95, although i have been told it is supposed to run on 95 as normal. I think holts do a repair bandage kit that you wrap around the the area blowing at it seals it. Can pick it up from halfords. Definitely sure the tick is from the exhaust? Simple things to check and not insulting intelligence, oil level and pressure.
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Mr2stu wrote:I've heard this ticking noise while accelerating for a while now

That'll be your heart beating faster :)
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Check your driveshafts if it's quite a loud ticking, make sure they're not leaking CV grease/coming apart.

May also be the pulse dampener on the fuel system, not really much that can be done about that bar replacing with an new one. 'Tis just something they do.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Sounds similar to my issue, but mine does it cold under load and not when hot.

It hasn't got any worse so i've left it.
Mr2stu

Post by Mr2stu »

Think it may be down to the exhaust... Had a reach undereath and could feel the flexi pipe blowing and also the joint to where the manifold meets the exhaust... Not sure how as I've just put knew gasket rings on and sealed it with putty! Would it be worth wrapping heat wrap around the flexi pipe?? Or should I just get it changed?
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Putty will normally blow out of a blowing area, not providing a seal anymore. Plus the heat of the manifold will burn most putty's off.
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I ran without gaskets for 9 months and didn't get a ticking noise.

Check the exhaust manifold itself for cracks
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

I had this for a while on my old blue mk1b and it was the downpipe exhaust connection. It was a very annoying noise when it did it and it also went away at higher rpm.

The first time it happened the garage told me what it was and 'fixed' it with a new gasket.

But it still did it a bit and they had to replace the gasket and all the fixings to get rid of it and this worked in my case.

But I also agree it could be a cracked manifold blowing further up. Hope it's not that.
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

Make sure you replace the kaynuts on the downpipe connection with new. They really are single use.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”