[Mk2] [NA] Best exhaust for bhp gains?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jkracing

[Mk2] [NA] Best exhaust for bhp gains?

Post by jkracing »

I've tried searching but I can only find information on the look and sound of exhausts.

Does any have any information on which exhaust will show the best gains on a 3S-GE? Any road tests done or dyno results from individuals / manufacturers?

Of course, I'd want my exhaust look and sound nice too, but I'll always choose performance over aesthetics. The only thing I will say is that I hate these dustbin lid sized back boxes.....

Any other basic modifications that you'd suggest are welcome! I've just bought my mr2 yesterday so I'm all ears :)

thanks!
jasongtr

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Best exhaust for bhp gains?

Post by jasongtr »

i hate to tell you this but there are no big gains on a non turbo mr2 with spending big money.
jkracing

Post by jkracing »

cheers for the reply mate.

The money isn't really an issue, I work with my dad at his company making bespoke titanium components, he has been designing / tuning race engines for 30 years, So I can do a lot of work myself in the workshop....

I just wanted to get a good base down with a decent exhaust, decat (AFAIK I can run a decat because it's an import car and the emissions regs are different?) Induction etc before I start any serious engine work.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

just out of interest if money is no object why not use a turbo mr2? if power increases are the driving factor you'd get alot more for the same outlay
jkracing

Post by jkracing »

Insurance :) I refuse to pay 3 times the value of my car for insurance every year.

But by the 'money isn't an issue' comment, I meant in terms of me being able to do some pretty serious engine work myself with just the cost of bits, it won't cost me too much, not that I have money to throw around.

Plus, I'd like to take the car racing in the mr2 championship next year and the turbo (open) class is just too expensive.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

ah ok, insurance is an easy one assuming you are not very young, classic car insurance

if you are thinking of racing it you'll need to check the regs, pm patrick at rogue
jkracing

Post by jkracing »

I've got classic car insurance already :) It's a lot cheaper. I'm 23 so not young as such, it's my lack of no claims that's the killer.... I've shared a car with the gf for the past few years so we've had to split the no claims.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

haha 23 - not young, wish i was 23 again
jkracing

Post by jkracing »

Old enough to get half decent insurance prices. But you see why I might be paying an awful lot for a turbo.... Although still less than my Clio 172 cup for some reason. I'll never understand insurance companies!
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

i think they just think of a number and double it
Nic

Post by Nic »

The Fujitsubo Legalis R would be a good choice, subtle design with twin tail pipes, very good build quality and should be quiet enough to pass track noise regulations - one of the few 3S-GE performance exhaust that will.

Some details here http://www.madpsi.net/MR2Exhaust.htm
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

by the time you have reeled of the list of mods that you have done to your n/a for big power gains the insurance will probably be more than insuring a standard turbo and will still be quicker with more power.
MR2O12

Post by MR2O12 »

ive got mongoose slash and decat sounds great more top end power but less low down, makes me think the mr2 needs back presure for good day to day driving
Harold

Post by Harold »

alanmr2turbo wrote:by the time you have reeled of the list of mods that you have done to your n/a for big power gains the insurance will probably be more than insuring a standard turbo and will still be quicker with more power.

This.
MR2O12

Post by MR2O12 »

turbos cost at least twice as much
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

MR2O12 wrote:turbos cost at least twice as much

still not as much as modding an na for bigger power, however the op has already said about the championship so couldnt go the turbo route
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

in terms of as much increase as physically possible....

decat and straight as possible pipe to outlet, heat wrap - that all i can think

i have a twin rolled mongoose that i love but didnt do much for poke - but i put new cat on at same time
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Just fit a grey top Beams 3sge (190hp) from a Caldina GT or Rav4.

Moonbeams cheaper than the red top motor.
Marf

Post by Marf »

jkracing wrote:

I just wanted to get a good base down with a decent exhaust, decat (AFAIK I can run a decat because it's an import car and the emissions regs are different?) Induction etc before I start any serious engine work.

The rules are only different for Turbos because the Turbo was never sold in the UK. The NA was.

When an import has a UK equivalent to test against the same rules apply as a UK car.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Return to “Modifications”