polybush kit

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

simpson_eh

polybush kit

Post by simpson_eh »

purchased a complete kit to sort my car out, how easy is it to do as on the instructions it says they need to pressed out

regards

Tony
jasongtr

Re: polybush kit

Post by jasongtr »

i tried pressing them out on a 30 tonne press and they were not moving, ended up a combination of burning, drilling and air chisel, the worst 2 are the very front ones - a right bar steward to get out

you can push the new ones in by hand
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

do you mean the front arm ones? if so is it possible just to take those parts off and take them to the garage??? as my mate will pop them out for free
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

you can obviously take them all off - cant see the bushes being removed without removing them from the car no matter how you get them out

the front ones i ended up buring them, drilling alot of the rubber out then once the middle had come out used an airsaw carefully to cut the metal sleeve out
mk2mattw

Post by mk2mattw »

i have done 2 cars now m8! the best way to do it is with a blowtourch just heat up the centre metal sleeve and keep scraping away the rubber as it turns to powder with an old screwdriver.As it gets hot it will expand and will pop out with a gentle push with the screwdriver, you will need a hacksaw for the front ones as once you have burnt it out there is a metal sleeve you need to remove

hope this helps!
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

I wouldn't fit polybushes to the very front suspension arms. The range of movement the arm goes through is not perpendicular to the bush axis - they will bind during suspension compression, which will effectively alter your spring rate, and lead to worse handling.
bolton

Post by bolton »

Pillow ball tension rods ftw!!
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

burn burn burn! and don't inhale lol
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

asdrewq wrote:I wouldn't fit polybushes to the very front suspension arms. The range of movement the arm goes through is not perpendicular to the bush axis - they will bind during suspension compression, which will effectively alter your spring rate, and lead to worse handling.

Rubbish!

I've yet to see a single complaint EVER on ANY MR2 forum globally re. worse handling due to FSB poly bushes.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Me neither!

Polybush and roll bars are the way!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”