[Mk2] [Generic] Active Sub Woofer help...

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

madbasshunter

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Active Sub Woofer help...

Post by madbasshunter »

I would try it on a different cd player first.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Will keep you posted, thanks for all the help, appreciated...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Took it out the car today, wired up to a battery on the bench and connect a host of other stuff, CD player, Ipod and another car HU, and with different leads too, conclusion being, still sounds the same, no bass just farting, guess it must be the sub...

riot68.com
nick200

Post by nick200 »

James, It does sound like you have tried everything now, so as agreed i will consider a refund structure with the following conditions:

- Upon receipt of the unit i will test and if it works as it should then you have the option to pay return postage and
have it back. If you do not wish it back i will offer it on the forum for the cost of postage only so i am not making a profit.

- Upon testing if it does not work as it should, i will investigate what remedial action is needed for the repair. if the repair cost
is viable , i will undertake the repair at my cost and offer to pay half towards the return postage.

- Following from above, if the unit is not repairable i will offer a sizeable proportion of the initial amount but not all of it.

My reasons for the above are:

the sub was removed working from my car, and then posted to you.
Potentially the unit was damaged in transit by the PO.
This sale was made 6 months ago, so no chance in claiming against the PO
With respect to the installer, i can not be responsible for any wiring errors on installing such an item.
Sometimes electronics will fail on power up / down due to surge and discharge. There is a small chance of
failure in this mode. If this was the case, impossible to tell when the failure occurred.

I understand that you as a buyer would be frustrated at buying an item, fitting it and having it non functioning.
This is why i am offering the above as a measure of goodwill, since i would not want you to resent the transaction with me.
I'm sure you would agree this goes above and beyond what most individuals would offer in the same situation.

Regards Nick.

as agreed in the pm, do let me know when you returning it since moving house and dont want it going the wrong person !
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Agreed...

riot68.com
nick200

Post by nick200 »

Thank you James, sub received.

Set it all up and yes indeed something very wrong !

Dissasembled and found the cause, the main driver was sitting at an angle. At first i thought its just been knocked from its mounts - but
in fact the magnet was at an angle to the basket.

Now since with this sub the driver is fully enclosed by the case - and there was no external damage to the case i can only conclude that
the unit has been dropped from a massive height to do this sort of damage. I cant see even dropping it off a desk would do this , so
my money is on Royal mail at fault here.

Looking briefly into Royal mail compensation, as from January 2012 you can not claim for damage after 80 days has elapsed which is longer
than our time period here and besides with no obvious external damage it would be next to impossible to prove damage due to decceleration forces !

Taking the speaker out, i mounted it in the lathe chuck with the idea being if it can be uniformly straightened then all should be good.
By using a dial guage to measure( bit over the top for this !) it was possible to pull out the basket so it was perfectly aliigned between the speaker magnet and basket.
In fact it returned to position ok, and the cone now moves in and out with minimal resistance.

Next step will be to re-assemble and test. I will repost when this is done.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Fingers crossed, car off the road soon so may have bass for a week haha, will have to find room in the civic for it. Thanks for eeping me posted...

riot68.com
nick200

Post by nick200 »

Ok good news, it's all working again. :D

Left it booming away for a couple of CDs last night to check.

So James if you could pm your address again, and will get it sent back.

Cheers nick
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Superstar, PM on It's way...

riot68.com
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Came back this week and fitted today and it sounds awesome, thanks for the swift repair, I now know I'm not a numpty at some simple wiring...

riot68.com

Return to “ICE and Security”