MR2 Championship - Flat floors

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

John145

MR2 Championship - Flat floors

Post by John145 »

Does anyone know if the guys in the MR2 championship run a flat floor or just use the standard plastic undertray? I'm planning to make a marine ply floor for the MR2 and was hoping someone has already done it!
Rogue

Re: MR2 Championship - Flat floors

Post by Rogue »

MR2 Championship regulations prohibit flat floors and most drivers remove the standard plastic undertrays as well. The main reason for this is that the fixings for them are pretty weak and a minor off-track excursion can easily bring them down, causing the marshalls to black flag them off the circuit.

Flat floors are common in the MR2 Super GT series where most cars have them fitted. They are generally a mixture of aluminium and plywood, but the main challenge is not so much designing and producing the floor, but adequately securing it to the chassis - not the bodywork.

Each floor is a custom design, usually bridging between specific bumpers, sideskirts and rear diffusers, and made in sections to allow quicker access to areas such as the engine bay.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

so is there any benifits to having a flat floor for say road use?
John145

Post by John145 »

Thanks for the info, custom job it is!

Flat floor should benefit high speed stability, top speed and fuel economy. Will let you know if it does anything noticable when I get my project moving. Only 1 month till the ring....

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”