[Mk2] [Generic] Complete ICE planning for install

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

juliankv73

[Mk2] [Generic] Complete ICE planning for install

Post by juliankv73 »

Hi,

I'm thinking I need some sounds as I have no speakers or head unit fitted!!

I bought a JDM double din Sony one with minidisc and want to have some decent sounds now, rather than listening to the exhaust...Now I'm sounding old!!

Im thinking of pioneer, alpine, infinity or focal components then dare I say it....bass, not eat splitting but decent base! But I was thinking of putting them in the stock cubby holes and just buy an old active sub enclosures and put small base speakers in!!

I'm sure others have done this, is the sound any good in the stock base enclosures or just buy a bass tube or box??i just thought less on display, less chance if a break in.

Anyone bought a component set up recently then I'll have an idea what "model" etc to buy ie alpine, infinity etc

Jimgts had already made up spacers in the door panels for 6.5" so I'm half there already!! Just got to get all the bits together and wire in, but stuck on what and where to buy

I'm in Bexley so am thinking maybe get a professional to wire in etc???!!!

Any ideas? Or help will be grateful. Ta
gnzyza

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Complete ICE planning for install

Post by gnzyza »

My personal setup advice is infinity components (great value), sub in custom enclosure behind seat, 1 4channel amp running comps and bridged 2 ch to sub... or seperate amps if you like

You'll have to spec it, but that will give you decent clarity.
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Whats your budget?

www.caraudiodirect.co.uk are the best place to get gear from .... and if you want good advice on whats the best bang for your buck get over to www.talkaudio.co.uk - these guys are nuts about car audio systems. From 160db windscreen shattering systems to the best SQ systems out there :thumleft:
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Century Motorsport wrote:Whats your budget?

www.caraudiodirect.co.uk are the best place to get gear from .... and if you want good advice on whats the best bang for your buck get over to www.talkaudio.co.uk - these guys are nuts about car audio systems. From 160db windscreen shattering systems to the best SQ systems out there :thumleft:

Thanks very much, ill give them a call tomorrow!

Would a 3 way system be ok within an MR2? or is it best to stick to 2-way?

Ta
Nails

Post by Nails »

stick to a 2 way, mr2 is terrible for sound staging due to the shape of the cabin and the massive centre console.

stay away from the likes of infinity/apline imo, not worth the cash. I havent bought any ICE stuff for quite some time now but focals and rainbows were always a good favorite at the time
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

juliankv73 wrote:Would a 3 way system be ok within an MR2? or is it best to stick to 2-way?Ta

I did 3ways in my last build http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ht=install but am going with rainbow 2 ways this time.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

madbasshunter wrote:
juliankv73 wrote:Would a 3 way system be ok within an MR2? or is it best to stick to 2-way?Ta

I did 3ways in my last build http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ht=install but am going with rainbow 2 ways this time.

Thanks, but want to keep the set up as OEM as poss, so
If I went for focal 2-way set up with a separate amp for a tube sub like the MTX ones any good? I'll be using a JDM double din stereo

Or should I be going for bass box behind the stats to fire the bass through?!!

Is dynamat the way to go fit doors etc, and floor pan?

What grade of speaker wire should I be looking for?

Will go to car audio direct, but what rated amp should I be looking for?

Thanks
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Hi

So Im thinking of going with Focal (from people suggest here!)

Question is which? : -

Focal Access 165 A1 @£95

Focal K2 Power 165KR @ 219.99

Focal Performance P165 V15 @ £199.99

Focal Performance PS165 @£129.99

So im confused already then I see this webpage: -

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... urer_id=55

I'd like some good quality sounds, for good bass (hard house/techno/heavey metal etc) and sounds for others like Sigur ros etc

I was thinking of getting a bass tube like MTX or should I be looking at a bass box, as I dont have T-bar I can get away with this as I dont store things behind the seats or am paricularly tall to warrant needing the space

The only thing I was intending at some point in the future is to fit willans harnesses through my recaro's
:-k

Any speaker guru's out there who can point me in the best direction for getting sound into my 2?
Nails

Post by Nails »

the focal K2 power is what I'd go for (the kevlar ones) for your choice of music
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

HI guys

I need some help

My 2 used to have the active setup but none of that is there now.

Ive bought a JDM Sony minidisc stereo, but cant connect as the sony harness doesnt match with the MR2 oem leads.

My Sony stereo has this adaptor to plug into the stereo: -

BUT has these plugs on the end of the sony harness :-

BUT my 2 seems to have had the active system at some point as there are 8 pins on the top row? This iso lead was connected to Jimgts old stereo and connects with the oem lead already in the car: -

I cant work out what stereo adaptor I will now need to fit this to my 2??

Can anyone help?

Also, if I am to run seperate components and a sub, will I need a channel amp?

Im confused lol

madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

The sony lead you have there is for the passive system so you will need a 16pin sony to iso lead and a 15 pin active system lead.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Your sony stereo lead is made up of 2 leads, someone has merged the original sony -> iso harness and an iso -> passive toyota harness.

You will need

1 x sony -> iso harness
1 x iso -> toyota active harness

HOWEVER

As you are talking about installing all your own speakers etc, what I would do is take a constant feed directly from the battery, make a good earth near the stereo, and take the illumination and ignition feeds from the fag lighter and make your own harness for your new stereo. Run proper speaker cable and decent OFC phono leads where required. Leave the existing harness alone! It's a bit more work and a bit less off-the-shelf harnesses but you should end up with less electrical noise.

You can run the components straight off the head unit, the good thing about double din units is they have more space to play with so sometimes have better internal amplifiers than single din. I'd still use a separate amp if it were me.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “ICE and Security”