[Mk2] [Turbo] GT28R for fast road car..

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

A.BLAKE

[Mk2] [Turbo] GT28R for fast road car..

Post by A.BLAKE »

Going to go for the full rebuild this winter.. Been considering options and what i want from the finished result which is basically a VERY fast, reliable
road car..

Bottom end is getting new bearings, rods, pistons, arp,s
Its a rev 3 and the head has recently rebuilt so i figure this can just be swapped over although im considering fitting adjustable cam gears.
255L fuel pump and power FC is obviously on the list.. Will i need bigger injectors??

Now turbo wise im not chasing figures, but obviously i want more than the ct20b is coughing up.. How much improvement would i see from a GT28R over my current turbo? Whats the limits?

TD06 is another turbo im considering but i have heard they are almost as as laggy as a gt3071 with less power...
Al-sw20

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] GT28R for fast road car..

Post by Al-sw20 »

GT28RS is like a reliable ct20b. Good turbo for what you want it for.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

TD06 wasnt much laggier than my old hybrid CT26 but had more kick uptop. Dunno if id go with a garret these days with all the stories you hear about them not lasting long.
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

GT28RS has a very fast spool time! Feels much quicker than any CT turbo I've been in.
Nic

Post by Nic »

This would make for a very responsive street setup.

http://www.koracing.net/viewproduct.php ... roduct=214
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Nic wrote:This would make for a very responsive street setup.

http://www.koracing.net/viewproduct.php ... roduct=214

My old ct20b made 2hp less @ 16psi. GT28RS more reliable though. Can buy alot of ct20bs for $2kusd though :o

Marf

Post by Marf »

Make sure you buy the right turbo, GT28R is entirely different to GT28RS.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

I'm putting together my own T28 conversion at the moment, using an addapter plate from ebay in the states. I plan to start with a cheap 2nd hand unit from a nissan then swap to a GT2871r later on once its all proven and I can forge the bottom end. Maybe even a 2nd hand 2860RS on the stock internals if I can find one going cheap enough.

This is the plate and I tnink an S14 down pipe will fit leaving only a short 90 degree bend made up to mate to stock exhaust.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT-26-Divided ... 20bae86ddd

Its shorter than the KO one so I will have to find out if they made theirs longer to help flow, strength or clearance.
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

So many options, must say though from the KO dyno that gt28r is making less than a rev 3 ct20b... That seems a bit of a false economy...

I know i said i wasnt chasing figures but at the moment i estimate im making around 300bhp, at 1.2 bar.. Its not quite enough though... I think i need around an extra 80bhp to make the car perfect with the option of a little bit more on scramble :twisted:

Running a greddy side mount atm, so thinking i might go with WI or maybe just switch to a CC

What would be my ideal turbo for the those figures with early, fast spool in mind...

Also thinking maybe something other than garret as im hearing alot about them not lasting to long whats the options from turbonetics etc..
Marf

Post by Marf »

T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

I have a 3071r that gets full boost at 3600rpm...i cant remember what rpm the stock one spools at?
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

The trader who cannont be named had one of his old car, went well fully mapped, one of the other lads on the forum that cannot be named has one running 333hp at 1.2 bar.

I'll be selling a full set up early next year, everthing you need to bolt onto a 3SGTE, external gated re-routed back into the downpipe too

Oh and I'll try dig out some graphs later when mine was mapped years ago
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Just to clarify it was the gt28rs from ats that i was looking at not a gt28r, ATS say this turbo will support up to 400bhp but only show it making 260 at 17psi on the graph :-k

What figures are people making on the TD06 on a rev 3?

Is the revision still particularly relevant to power once you get into a built engine with different turbo..
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

It will support up to 400bhp. You will need to run it on racegas or E85.

That figure is @ wheels though.

Return to “Modifications”