Import charges on ebay??

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

A.BLAKE

Import charges on ebay??

Post by A.BLAKE »

If i buy a set of forged rods and pistons off ebay from USA will i have to pay some kind of import charge when they arrive? How does the whole import charge thing operate when buying from abroad?
Pauln

Re: Import charges on ebay??

Post by Pauln »

Usually if you order goods over the internet from anywhere outside of the EU you'll be stung for customs duty and import VAT. The rate of customs duty varies and depends on the category of the goods ordered and their declared value on the customs declaration.

I ordered a bike jacket from the States a few years ago, and had a nasty surprise when the post man knocked on the door with my jacket and a large bill from HM Customs. Since then I've only ever bought stuff from within the EU, no nasty surprises that way :)

Paul
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

in true UK fashion it probably costs more in wages and pensions than is returned in duty :lol:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I use this to figure it out, it's pretty close most of the time http://www.dutycalculator.com/
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Import duty applies if goods valued over £135.00. Normally about 4%.

VAT is then charged on goods, shipping and import duty at 20%.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”