Mr2 rev3 turbo best and cheapest brake pads?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gt4mayhem

Mr2 rev3 turbo best and cheapest brake pads?

Post by gt4mayhem »

Evening all, it's time to buy some new brake pads for my rev3 tubby. She's running over 300bhp on uprated grooved and drilled discs, and just wondering what the next set of pads I should get? Also need front and back pads so I need the price to be as low as possible but at the same time need the right performance. What would you all recommend and links to the best prices would be fantatistic if you can....
\:D/
Look forward to your replys, and I always find Imoc to be the most friendliest and helpful site for great genuine honest answers ;)
platmatt8

Re: Mr2 rev3 turbo best and cheapest brake pads?

Post by platmatt8 »

I've just got myself a set of OEM pads from sbits, with standard discs and good ridge brake lines, a fresh dose of DOT5.1 and im a lot happier than I was with aftermarket pads.

Your car may have 300 horses but than means nothing if your only driving round the town, I took my tubby running less than 300 bhp around the evo triangle at weekend doing some nice spirited driving and the OEMS never failed me once.

:thumleft:
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Just bought some crn discs with redstuff.. Heard good things about the redstuff but we shall see! Im also running around the 300bhp mark and i have experienced brake fade on some serious road blasting on the oem pads.. Looking forward to bedding them in and reporting the results.. I think the general opinion is stock discs with carbotechs, braided lines and DOT5.1 is the best set up for serious thrashing but wanted to try the reds first...
Nic

Post by Nic »

If you want cheap then Mintex pads aren't bad, personally I'd go with OEM Toyota pads they're a bit more but fine for road use.

When you change the pads check the condition of the discs, drilled disks are prone to cracking.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

brake pads are like tyres, it's fine getting the cheapest xxxx you can get your hands on right up til the point where you need them to really work to save your neck. At that point they can become very expensive indeed
gt4mayhem

Post by gt4mayhem »

Thanks for all the greet advice so far :) will check all these pads out
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

Dont buy camskill cheap pads, they dust like a desert storm, just terrible. Also not much feel to them.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Carbotechs we the dogs dangles but are expensive to buy, especially if your just driving round town!

Red stuff pads are a good middle ground, I've had both and if money wasn't a problem I'd buy carbotechs coz the performance and confidence you have in them make for a better drive and stopping response

Jimgts car has redstuff and whilst I've never bought them in the past, they're good, I haven't picked up or experienced brake fade. Plus they are not as dusty as some aftermarket pads

Particularly when driving on 18"BBS LM's of course ;)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”