[Mk2] [Generic] Tablet pc in dash

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gazrev1tubby

[Mk2] [Generic] Tablet pc in dash

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Hi guys, I started a thread on mr2oc regarding a new mod i'm doing. I started it on Friday eve, and got it pretty much completed today. I thought i'd post it up on here, to see what you thought :thumleft:

I had a brainwave the other night, about fabricating my 10" touchscreen tablet into the dash.

I've always quite liked the idea of a car pc, but didn't want to faff around with putting seperate components all over the cabin, and also dealing with boot up times.

I wanted a screen that was fairly substantial, and I also wanted it removable for security purposes.

Here's what i'm doing :D

I started it on Friday eve, and took a mould of the tablet in fibreglass. This will be permanently blended into place, and the tablet will simply slide in and out

Trimmed it to suit yesterday morning, and made the necessary holes for the connections to fit. Power, USB, memory card, hdmi, and the headphone jack - which will link to the auxiliary input on my head unit

I've just trimmed the centre dash trim to suit, so I'm gonna go and bond it in position, and will update when it's dry ;)

There's not a lot left :laughing:

It looks huge on the bench, but in the car, it looks awesome !

The base is now bonded in place, and I've bonded in the connections.

You can see how it slides in, once it's all filled and painted, it should hopefully look pretty good :)

Blanked off the the area that was left last night, and fitted a 3 port USB hub

This morning I carried on filling, and moved the hazard light switch to the old cigar lighter position

After a few hours filling and sanding, I finally got it in primer. Don't worry, I've masked the triangle on the hazard light switch ;)

Got it painted in a bit of satin black, and fitted a piece of black alcantara to the inside, to stop the tablet getting scratched, and to make it nice and soft :)

It's loosely fitted into place, so i'll let it fully dry over night, and hopefully get it up and running tomorrow evening

Tsia

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Tablet pc in dash

Post by Tsia »

You do too many cool mods. :mrgreen:
timlowthian

Post by timlowthian »

You make me one and ill buy the table! lol

That is very impressive i was thinking about this being done the other day! My fibreglass skills are not quite up to that though!
Rev 1 NA to Turbo conversion!
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Couldn't resist getting a few fitted pics, and a cheeky video to show it working :th:

Video
synXero

Post by synXero »

Pretty sick, there are guys on YouTube doing this too. The only problem is you can't update your tablet to a new model!

I'd quote like to do a baby iPhone version...
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Interesting! I have a question though...

gazrev1tubby wrote:and the headphone jack - which will link to the auxiliary input on my head unit

Where is said head unit? Glovebox?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

That looks sweet as :D , I am a big fan of how to guides and diy/custom mods :clap:.
If money was no object I would love something like this with all my gauges shown digitally on screen =P~.

Kev.
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Cheers guys :thumleft:

This is where the headunit is now John :

Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Thats a good job there :thumleft:

A shame the tablet isn't a tad smaller though?
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

I'm a big fan of this. I used to run a carputer but have now got a Samsung 8.8" tablet to fit instead. That should fit quite well portrait, slightly more OEM-look than this example. That's not a criticism though - the quality of work in this thread is impressive. I just agree with the above post that a smaller display blends in a bit better. Having said that I've still not yet got the confidence to start working on mine lol :roll:
Maybe this should be the push I need to get on with it!

Wingers
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

So what can be done on this? Im thinking music, sat nav, rear view camera.... Could it be used to show vehicle info such as temps, tyre pressure, boost etc? I suppose the tablets are not really built for that..That I would definitely want though.. Been after a blitz I colour for ages but there seriously pricey..
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

There's a whole host of possibilities for this. My friend is developing a little system at the moment for his GT-Four (I've demanded a prototype when he's done) that tells you boost, rpm etc etc as well as horsepower going to each wheel (Not sure how you'd calculate this?), support for any sensor etc. I've seen a basic version running in his car (wires everywhere for now!) on a radio display, showing boost levels, voltage etc, some real basic information. I'll give him a nudge about it tomorrow night and see if I can get an update on where he's at. Might have even given up for all I know. :lol:

Edit : Got an update already! The G-Force sensor is operational now, but that's the only improvement since I last saw it.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Sounds cool tsia I would be interested in one of these displaying...

Iat
Water temp
Oil temp
Oil pressure
Fuel pressure
Egt
Rwhp would be cool 8)
------------------
Maybe boost and wideband, at the moment I quite like where I have these gauges mounted.

I looked at hks camp/camp2 a few years ago and wow these thing are expencive and not having an obd2 port means the loss of nearly all of the functions... For it to be of any use you would have to buy all the optional sensors :eye: $$$$ =; ....

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/usa/products ... _more.html

Kev.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I had an HKS CAMP in my MR2 for stuff like that. The CAMP is pre-OBD2 so your only option is external sensors, and yes they are expensive!

I guess this custom solution is tapping into the sensors that are already there (power to wheels will be estimated off the ABS sensors I guess?).
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I'll be chatting to him later tonight about it, so I'll see if all that is possible. I've seen how the RWHP is calculated now (as it shows you current horsepower, not maximum.) All quite clever. :D

Edit : Toxo, the power to the wheels will be calculated from the ABS sensors, as far as I'm aware (I've only seen the calculation for working out overall horsepower)

Return to “Modifications”