[Mk2] [Generic] Alternator lifespans...

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

[Mk2] [Generic] Alternator lifespans...

Post by HighwayStar »

Just quickly checking with you guys.... My alternator looks like it's given up the ghost after 4.5yrs and 45,000 miles. Same as the previous one but it seems a little short lived no?
I do have a tubby lid and wonder if it may be getting too much rainwater since I believe the rain trays are different. Thoughts?

R.
Slarty

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Alternator lifespans...

Post by Slarty »

All I can add to this is that I've owned my present car (rev3 turbo) for over 5 1/2 years all on the same alternator, and it certainly doesn't look like it was replaced anytime before I bought the car. That's backed up by no receipts for one and the previous owner supplied receipts for just about everything.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Never saw rain water on my alt and my rain tray was super modified but my old alt wasdeffo subjected to an oil leak and that polished it off...I replaced it earlier this year with a 90 amp jobbie which is for for sale on here if your interested.

few months old £60 delivered.
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

HighwayStar wrote:Just quickly checking with you guys.... My alternator looks like it's given up the ghost after 4.5yrs and 45,000 miles. Same as the previous one but it seems a little short lived no?
I do have a tubby lid and wonder if it may be getting too much rainwater since I believe the rain trays are different. Thoughts?

R.

Count yourself lucky one of my alternators lasted. 2 years (24-25,000 miles) crap one !!!
Baker

Post by Baker »

it does depend somewhat on demand.
If its being worked hard, with extra added power sapping mods then it wont last as long.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

295k km on the clock, and the original alternator.

Return to “Mechanical”