[Mk2] [Generic] Speaker Change

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Seanie

[Mk2] [Generic] Speaker Change

Post by Seanie »

Hello All
Can anyone recommend some half decent speakers that can change the OEM passive speajkers for in the MK2
i thingk it will be component speakers in the front and the smaller ones next to my head at the back
i will prob run them from the head unit and later put in a sub running of a amp behind the passenger seat.
or is it better to run everything from a 5 channel amp for example.

Cheers All
Seanie

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Speaker Change

Post by Seanie »

I purchased some infinity 6.5 inch components today.
I have began making my spacers and hope everything fits ok.
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Hi i have installed everything now and thought i would post some info for future searchers.

I followed the guide online and used 18mm MDF which did involve some cutting and removal of one of the holding pins on the door card but everything fits well
the tweeters fitted on the iriginal bracket using one of the parts that came with it and i held it together with a small nut and bolt.
i mounted my cross over up behind the dash for both speakers so it did not get mosture in the future.
door vibration was a little annoying so i mounted foam under the speakersbefore they touch the mdf and maybe one day will install a baffle instead.
i did not use any sound deadening but this is one for the future.
i installed Infinity reference 6530cs from halfords at £99 and the depth they have is 60mm and the window works fine.
in fact i could prob have use a smaller spacer but i was being carful, looking begind the speaker from above there is still some clearance.
this is on a rev 5 in case anyone wonders.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Seanie wrote:i mounted my cross over up behind the dash for both speakers so it did not get mosture in the future.

Good idea. When I installed my previous set of speakers I put the crossovers in the doors and the terminals got quite corroded after a while.

On my new installation I put the crossovers above the spare wheel with the amplifier. There's a write-up on my website but it's probably no use to you now that you've finished!

http://www.chrisward.org.uk/mr2/amp/index.html
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Pretty much the same install as mine in the doors.
did you use anything between the spacer and the door to stop vibration?
looks lovely, i think i may try and do the same thing with my amp and put it in the front i was thinking of putting a sub behind the passenger seat and the amp behind mine.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Seanie wrote:did you use anything between the spacer and the door to stop vibration?

I didn't make much of an effort, there's just a bit of Dynamat Xtreme which I'd stuck on for my previous speaker installation.

Oh and inserting the new speaker cables into the wiring loom to the door was a complete pain, but worth it I think.
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Yeah that part was hard but still best way to do it,
I will treat myself to a sub soon not that I need it.
ELS

Post by ELS »

Hi guys,

Great write up! :thumleft:

Chris wondering what sized spacers you used for your Infinity Kappa 65.7cs speakers?

I've just bought the infinity kappa 60.9cs and there flipping huge!! Problem is mounted perfectly central the magnet hits the window rail so I gotta use a pretty large spacer. Fear is spacing too much the rubber on the speaker cone will touch the door card even with the common mod people do. Really want to keep it as stock as possible keeping speaker behind the standard door card but as you can imagine the tolerances are extremely fine to play with.... :-k

Any help would be much appreciated.... :D
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

My spacers are 24mm thick which is probably the maximum you can get away with. As you can see I've had to cut away a lot of plastic on the back of the door cards.

The 60.9cs might not be quite as deep as the 65.7cs but I'm having trouble finding any dimensions online.
ELS

Post by ELS »

Hi bud, thanks for your reply! :wink:

The Infinity Kappa 60.9cs mounting depth: 61mm

The two measurements worrying me are:

The magnet dia: 100mm (it fouls against the window mechanism guide bar)

&

The measurement from speaker mount to speaker face: 13mm

I've tried a 25mm spacer and the magnet still fouls! :shock: Worried anymore spacing the speaker face with foul against the doorcard... :pale:

What you reckon....?

Worse comes to worse I may have to look at some alternative high end component kits, suggestions welcome? :thumleft:
ELS

Post by ELS »

Seanie whats the quality like of your speakers?

How did the install go, is there still room between doorcard and speaker face and doorcard and spacer ring? Any rubbing issues? :-k
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Just found the box for the 65.7cs. The mounting depth is 58mm but it doesn't give the magnet diameter.

Maybe as your speakers have a smaller diameter you could get away with a slightly thicker spacer? It's going to be very tight I think.

Return to “ICE and Security”